Saturday, May 29, 2004

I spent last night reading The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffnegger, and it blew my mind it was so good. Even by the title, you can tell it is SF/Fantasy, but I feel like I transcended genre for once because I picked it up off the bestseller rack instead of the SF/Fantasy rack. Plus, it strikes me as having more depth than a lot of SF/Fantasy I read, plus the relationships are a lot more real. I kind of wish they'd not separate fantasy bestsellers from the regular rack, because then I never find them, and though I do find gems in the rack I normally am looking through, so many of them I am gradually realizing are awful. So many books get bogged down in explaining their little world or science gimmick that it seems to take away from the story, and the types of authors who can do it without being boring, such as Michael Crichton, are automatically segregated because of their wide appeal. But I hate going over to the bestselling rack, because I have to sift through a lot of stuff I know I won't care for before finding it. Plus, the bestsellers cost more, which cheeses me off.

Anyway, it's hard to explain, but I would strongly recommend this book to anyone, regardless of their usual genre choice. Though the time traveling angle is really interesting (to me), it's more about Henry & Clare's relationship, and how the time traveling has shaped it and put stress on it and to work in some nifty bits of foreshadowing.

I badgered my sister into hanging out with me tonight, so we did. We had orange juliuses that we made in the blender because the Orange Julius stand at our mall folded sometime in the 80's, and we were overjoyed when she learned a recipe for them in home ec sometime in the 90's and we could have them again. We hadn't had any in awhile, so that's what we did, plus pizza and a DVD.

My brother in law chose Mooseport, which I was a little surprised because it didn't strike me as his sort of thing, but it looked okay enough to sit through. I had thought it was a straight comedy, but it was really one of those romantic comedies that have the occaisional funny bit but really shouldn't be called a comedy because they don't produce belly laughs. And the romance angle was a little weak too, so it was overall somewhat mediocre, but I had fun anyway.

My sister and I talked a little bit too. We got to talking about my future career options and Mom, and it surprises me how much my sister doesn't realize how desperately Mom wants me to stay in town just like she has. Maybe she never ran up against it because she never thought about leaving this town. But Mom has a cow if I even mention trying to get an internship in Peoria, which is not that far away. And to a limited extent, I am kind of using her as an excuse not to apply in peoria. I don't really want to go to Peoria. I either want to live in a glamorous city, or stay here where I'm comfortable, if not glamorous. Not pick up everything and go to a crappy town a couple of hours away. I really, really, wish applying for jobs and internships didn't make me crazy. I wish I didn't dread them, and so not apply for many, and even those much later than I ought to. Speaking of which, Walmart and Family Video still have not called back.

Yep. I'm definately going to be working at Arby's* when I graduate. Or die in a gutter. Whatever.


* Just recently I learned that the ovenmitt is voiced by Tom Arnold. I just felt like mentioning it, because it surprised me for some reason when I found out. True story.

No comments: