Saturday, May 29, 2004

Speaking of adoption, which I was in the last post but you don't know that because these go in reverse order, and The Time Traveler's Wife (ditto), I want to bring up something I find very weird, and that bugs me.

That is, the fact that everyone believes that having their own kid is better than adopting. Well, I know you have the biological imperitive to spread your genes, but come on! I would much rather have an adopted kid! (though I probably wouldn't even want one of those because I just know I'd terribly warp any kid that would have the misfortune of having me as a parent) Sign some papers, no morning sickness, no stretch marks, no shooting something the size of a watermelon out of your vagina, no fuss, no muss.

Anyway, I was thinking of it again because (mild spoiler) the woman in Time Traveler's Wife wants to have a kid, but keeps having these awful miscarriages, and if they ever finally suceed at having a kid, the time traveling's genetic, and the kid could have it, and with some of the stuff the guy's going through, you wouldn't wish that on a kid. But she's determined that they have their own kid instead of adopt. Also, they're the last people who should raise kids! What if the dad drops the kid because he disappears all of the sudden?

Also, my sister was talking about how all the crap she's going through right now is worth it for having a kid. I pointed out that we have crappy genes, and she said something lame like, "I'm quite proud of my genes, thank you very much!" but it's TRUE. The greatest gift I feel I could ever give to this planet is letting my genes die with me. Honestly, all of this I have or someone in my immediate family (mom, dad, sister) has had: severe asthma (my sister's been hospitalized), allergies, migraines, ADD, alcoholism (okay--this one is an uncle, but I count it because it's strongly linked with ADD which I DO have), diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, alzheimers (grandparents--but my parents aren't old enough yet to see if this affects them though I pray it doesn't), severe back problems know one knows what causes them (dad), severe muscle problems no one knows what's causing (mom), thyroid disorder, and the cap to all of this, colitis, which is as bad as most of those rolled into one in and of itself. I don't think I could stand seeing a child of mine going through the pain I go through just because I wanted a little copy of myself and my spouse to parade around the house.

Hmm... I'm talkative tonight.

No comments: