Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Wow. I got a new light fixture for my room AND a nephew today. Very exciting.

It actually took longer for my dad and I to install the light fixture than it took my sister to give birth. We actually made a mistake with the fixture, took it back to the store, and came back home to put it in. Whereas my sister, even though this is her first baby, had it in less than 2 hours. I'm hoping that if I ever have a kid (though I don't really plan to), that I can pop it out like that. She was a lot more peppy and happy than most women after they give birth, according to all the grandparents that came over to visit.

It was strange for me when I first saw him. I've never seen a baby that young up close before. And I've never held any baby at all. They told me to support his neck, but he kept moving his neck around and stuff, and I was deathly afraid of doing something wrong and messing him up. He seemed to like me, though, as well as any newborn baby likes anyone. He started opening his eyes (which he hadn't much up until then) and looking right at me after they gave him to me. I could just imagine him going, "mmm, I like Aunt Phoe. She smells like twizzlers. Even though I don't even know what those are yet." I didn't hold him too long, because it was so intense from the constant worry, but it was cool.


When you dream,
what do you dream about?
Are they colour or black and white,
Yiddish or English
or languages not yet conceived?
Are they silent or boisterous?
Do you hear noises just
loud enough to be perceived?
Do you hear Del Shannon's "Runaway" playing
on transistor radio waves?
With so little experience,
your mind not yet cognizant
Are you wise beyond your few days?


--"When You Dream," Barenaked Ladies

No comments: