Thursday, September 20, 2001

Noisy Neighbors

Okay...here's another rant. I know I've already typed my intro and first rant already today (not to mention piddling about with my totally screwed up template for quite some time), but I'm like on fire, I have a lot of pent up rage about things right now. Probably why I chose the title "Angry White Girl." It also sort of reminds me of Ben Folds' (I'm a hard core Ben Folds Five fan, I've not heard much of Ben Folds' solo work yet, but I'm eagerly awaiting...) new song, "Rockin' the Suburbs." There's a line..."Y'all don't know what it's like/being male middle class and white." I think white people have a right to be angry too. Though minorities certainly have a right to be angry about stuff.



Anyhoo.... this rant has nothing to do with being black, white, or green with purple polka dots. It's about noise. My noisy neighbors, to be exact. You see, I live in a hamster-cage sized dorm room (exept without all the cool tubes) next to people who enjoy playing their music way too loud. Usually, it's the thumping bass that comes thru: the part most likely to make me get a migraine. Though, sometimes the lyrics and stuff come thru: the pop drivel they play over and over until I know all the words and it gets inside my head and drives me insane and i climb up the side of the building and pick people off in the street with an assault rifle...... Uh.... I mean.... it's just kind of annoying :P



But all of that stuff is old news..... Me and my roommate have asked them repeatedly to stop it, and they won't. Finally we went to the RA, but that didn't do overly much. Well, except getting them pissed at us. They harrassed my roommate (me too if I had actually been there, but I wasn't) by whacking the door or something. My roommate flipped out--I am mad they did it, and sad for her that she was there, but she's overreacting quite a bit.... Like, she won't shower in the afternoon anymore, because she's afraid they'll prank her, and so on. So we talked to the RA again. Basically, the RA's can't do diddly crap about anything... What we finally agreed to was create a schedule for when they can blast their music thru the wall and when they can't, so at least maybe we can study in peace. So my roommate and I wrote one up...and, almost a week later, the noisy neighbors still haven't gotten around to altering it or whatever, like they're sposed to. See, the reason they get to alter it, even though we were perfectly reasonable with the original schedule, is because the system screws me over every possible time. (I KNOW I'll eventually get around to the horrors of registration at ISU on this thing :P). And in the mean time, they're still being loud.....



And that stuff's still kind of old news... Today's news: They've been slamming the door all the time now, and furtherly have harrassed my roommate. (She's had the most direct confrontation with them...) She's very angry and annoyed--trying really hard to move, except the university's too crowded. If she comes to any solution, it will separate us, and I'll end up with some jerk no one wanted as a roommate, because that's the only sort of people moving around right now. I think she's overreacting, I think they're overreacting, I think I'm the only one with a level head. And that's not even true, because every time they blast "Hit Him Up" thru our wall loud enough for me to get a headache, I get almost homicidal. And STILL i'm the most calm one :P I can sort of see why my roommate's overreacting, but why are the noisy neighbors doing it? I mean, why is it so horrible to listen to music soft enough it doesn't go thru the walls? And if you really want to listen to loud music, why's it so difficult to wear headphones? They're cheap, they make it even louder, cos they blast it straight in your ear.....perfect solution!

Bleh.... Pity me!

No comments: