Wednesday, September 26, 2001

Well, it's registration time again here at ISU. And I'm scared. Real scared. See, I always get screwed over when I try to register. The first time, I ended up in an Ag class, for heaven's sake. And, it was a traumatizing process. And my idiot of an advisor was no help. And it scares me--he's the head of the department. Well, anyhoo, the second time I had to register was even more traumatic. So, I thought to illustrate it by posting an e-mail I sent to some of my friends during registration last year.
3 emails, actually. Cos it took three days...... :P


Registration Frustrations Vol II
I tried to register for next semester's classes today. I can sum up the process in one word: AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHRRRRRGGG!!!!!!!!

Now, I will sum up the process in many words.

1. During Spring Break, I made sure that I knew exactly what classes I wanted, and when they were, mapped it out, planned contingencies and everything, so hopefully I wouldn't have a repeat of last semester. All this planning turned out to be USELESS.
2. The first class I try to register for is the English class that my stupid advisor said was so great, and that I had all of the pre reqs for, but was WRONG. Now that I do have the pre reqs, I thought I would try again. But to no avail. This class was closed. I'm irritated at this point.
3. I decide to move on, and choose a different english class later. I attempt to register for "Genetics and Society." I get a message that I do not have the pre reqs for it. I picked this course specifically because it was one of the few in its category that I DID have the pre reqs for. (the reason I was lacking the pre req for so many classes in this category is because my IDIOT advisor told me last semester that I didnt' need to take the quantative reasoning category in the middle core. He was WRONG.
4. I try to move on. I go for "History of East Asia," one of the few courses I AM excited about. It tells me I don't have the pre reqs. GRRRR
5. My remaining two courses go smoothly
6. I re-look up my courses to make sure I have the requirements. All they require is that I have my inner core finished. I am pretty sure I have my inner core finished. I think, "Gee, they must not have counted my AP credit, the bums! I'm always asking them if they have that entered in the computer or wherever, and I'm never sure if they are"
7. I call up my sister to ask advice about the other courses
8. She tells me to either call up Julian Hall or the Honors Program
8. I call up the honors program. I attempt to explain the problem on their answering machine. I end up being pretty long winded, and the answering machine cuts me off right in the middle of my phone number
9. I attempt to call back, numerous times, but the line is busy.
10. I call Julian Hall. I get a guy who sounds not too bright. He tells me to talk to the honors program.
11. I call up my sister for advice
12. She says I should go to the honors program building. Incidently, that is the farthest spot away from me on campus, except for my WONDERFUL ag class.
13. I set off for the honors program building.
14. I get there
15. I walk in
16. The lady at the desk wants to know what I want
17. I say I'm having registration difficulties
18. She says "Welcome to the club," rather snottily.
19. This comment just makes my day. I think this is the same wierd woman who wouldn't explain why my honors appointment didn't count, last time.
20. She tells me that the computer is messed up and I'll have to register tomorrow. She doesn't even want to know the details of my problem.
21. I go back to my dorm. I put on some soothing music. The tape I used is stoped, and all the magnetic tape is hanging out, and it's tangled in the magnetic head of the stereo. My roommate's brand new stereo that she got for her birthday. I can't get it out.
21. ..........continued tomorrow, no doubt


Registration Frustrations Vol II (cont.)
23. I try to register again today
24. This does not work
25. Why? Because "Phylis" (Lady who told me welcome to the club, and who told me everything would be alright today) is stupid. I was worried when she wouldn't even listen to my problem yesterday before giving me a solution, and it turns out that these worries were well founded.
26. I call the honors office. They eventually connect me to someone who actually has half an idea of what she's doing.
27. She tells me to call someone in the registrar's office.
28. I do so. This woman explains to me that they lost my AP credit.
29. I am not amused. My IDIOT of an advisor assured me repeadedly last semester that they had my credit. Did I mention that this guy is an IDIOT? Every thing he has ever said has been wrong. "You don't need quantative reasing. You have all the pre reqs. Sure your AP credit is right here. I'm a stupid incompetant person, which is especially frightening, considering that I am head of the department. If I knew who Mrs. Petrotte was, I could safely say I am even more incompetant than her, that's how incompetant I am." Okay, the last two statements are true. Maybe that's because HE never said them.
30. The lady tells me I have to get the AP people to send ISu another copy, or to get my original copy and give it to them.
31. I call up my mom, and she actually has to get my AP results and bring it to me here.
32. Then, I wolf down some cheese fries because I need to eat SOMETHING before I embark on my wonderful journey, and I won't have time after the aforesaid "journey" because I have stupid boring geology soon.
33. I make a copy of the results, because they make you give them the original. This means if they ever lose it again, I'll be able to do nothing about it. ISU pretty much sucks. Actually, there was a tour going thru again, and I wanted to shout at them, "Never go here! They screw me over every tiem I try to register for classes. I'm in an AG class for the dear lord's sake! And last semester is nothing to what they've done to me this semester! NEVER GO HERE!" It was a large temptation.
34. So, I set off for Julian Hall. It's right next to the honors office, which, as a said, is practically the farthest point away from my dorm on campus, except for ag. Lovely
35. I go there, she takes my thing, and says soon I'll be able to register. If not
36. It's been a couple hours, and, as of yet, I still can't register for either class.
37. I'll probably have to go to the individual departments and get overrides or something. Why does ISU hate me? Why am I screwed over every time I register? Grrrrrrr........

Amy.

Stay tuned for more registration frustrations, I'm sure they're coming

Day 3 of the Registration Crisis
I forgot what number I was on, so I'm starting again at one. Oh, and I sure hope that the stupid, annoying, irritating, e-mail program didn't cut off the last two (like it tends to do to long e-mails) because you will be lost. Anyhoo...........here I go:

1. I get up, and am like, "Well, let's see how ISU has screwed me today.
2. I try to register for my classes, but apparently they haven't entered my AP info yet, despite the woman's assurances that it would be in in a few hours (this was said yesterday)
3. I call up the honors office
4. They tell me to call the registrar's office
5. The registrar's office tells me to call the honors office
6. I call the honors office and ask for my FOOL of an advisor
7. He's busy mis-advising some other poor sap. Actually, according to the time I called, and the fact that my poor roommate had an appointment with the guy (I told her not to listen to him, and thankfully she hasn't), she's prolly the poor sap he was talking to.
8. I go to history class, my problem unresolved
9. The person I had talked to on the phone was actually competant! (I wonder what she's doing at ISU) I come back to a phone message that my problems have been resolved. I log in, and they have been resolved! Yay! It makes me happy! It is sad how much glee I have when I find someone who is actually competant. I actually called the honors office back to thank her. She was nice to me too. She's like the anti-phyllis! Yay! So happy now! And it was a nice day out too, which improves my mood. Yay!

Amy

Oh, and now I'm taking:

Statistical something or other
History of East Asia
Genetics and Society
Experiencing music (Yes, I've finally gotten my music appreciation class! :P)
Texts and Contexts: Literary Traditions (I know it's an english class, but I'm not sure what it's about. It was kind of a last-minute substitute for this honors one that I hear has a really cool teacher but that was full)

Oh, and thanks to my irritation, I have come up with many new mottos for ISU that I find amusing, so I think I'm going to send you guys next :P

Amy

Mebbe someday I'll share the mottos with you too. Heh...probably after I get screwed over registering THIS semester :P

No comments: