Saturday, January 19, 2002

God, I knew the staff at ISU was incompetant--they've screwed me MANY a time (housing services, maintenance, registrar's office, resnet, history dept.)

But I didn't know how incompetant they were until I became a fellow employee at ISU, and have witnessed the gazillion OTHER students that get screwed. [Note: I'm pretty competant, it's my superiors that don't know what the hell they're doing]

1) The handicapped automatic door has been broke over a month now, and they STILL haven't fixed it. This poor guy in a wheel chair was trying to get out yesterday, when the lobby was deserted except for me. He asked me if I'd help, and the sad thing is, I'm not technically allowed to, because I'm not allowed to leave the desk. AND I'm still especially on "probation" for this, seeing as how they caught me leaving to use the bathroom last week. I helped him anyway, though. How much of an ass would you be if you were like "I'm not allowed to help you." Then, whenhe wanted back in, I was on the phone helping someone, but I saw an aquaintance of mine in the lobby, and kind of got her attention and asked her to do it, which she did,so that was good.

2) Again, with the maintenance people. Once, my screen broke, and it took them an entire semester to get around to fixing it. It wasn't a big deal, really, because it still sort of worked. But it's just a preface to show you how swiftly ISU maintenence fixes a task. Like, in our new room, (this was at break, I was home at the time) my roommate had to CONSTANTLY pester them to fix our heater, which, while it still worked, was halfway hanging off whatever it's mounted on. She believed it was a fire hazard. (And believe me, in a high rise dorm, you do NOT want a fire) Today, someone came to me saying her heater was leaking buckets of water, and she's tryed to get them to fix it several times. About all I could do was fill out another form for her, with pretty strong wording, which is probably impertinant of me.

3) Last night, the guy who works the help desk at Bone Student Center called me up, and told me that some international student was stranded there, he'd expected a ride here. That thing that had all the Int'l staff's phone #'s on it is now magically gone, of course. I managed to look up the head of int'l house office number, but she was gone, of course. Then I called the pro staff on duty, and she didn't know what to do either, except she tried to look up the lady's home number, and when we called that she wasn't there either. Heather wasn't much help at all, the Bone guy finally said he was going to try to call one of HIS friends to drive the poor student here. And, during this, I only had the guy on hold like forever.

No comments: