Thursday, July 07, 2005

Word Problems

Let's say in high school, you had a circle of friends (about 4 + yourself). And you were closer to two of them than the other two to begin with. And those two, you haven't seen for a couple years. The whole group sends mass e-mails to each other once in awhile, but not hugely often. You barely know those two at all anymore.

One of the two sends out a mass e-mail to everyone about how they finally have a boyfriend (yes--my group is slow. 2 of us still haven't ever dated, as far as I know). And how great said boyfriend is.

A few months later--the boyfriend dumps her and she sends out a mass e-mail that sounds pretty sad and asking for sympathy.

What do you say to that?

Anyway, this obviously happened to me today. I feel hugely uncomfortable, as I don't even know this chick much anymore, and didn't know the guy at all. He comes off a little insensitive according to the e-mail, but who am I to pass judgement on a fairly biased source? Especially if they ever get together again. I know some of the other friends (this group, btw, is pretty religious except for me) will probably say something about God's plan and how she wasn't meant to be with the guy after all or whatever, but I knew it'd just be phony coming from me. So I said that I was sorry, and had really been rooting for her and the guy and that someday she'd find someone who could really see how special she is. Which sounds kind of patronizing, but it was the best I had. I'm not great at ushering people through times of emotional difficulty. Even when I actually know anything about the person and situation.

you better open the door
before I take a hammer to the walls around it
I cannot let you inside my cell
for fear I'll sink the ship and drag us both down


--"Better Open the Door" Motion City Soundtrack

No comments: