Monday, April 18, 2005

Just when you think it's safe to breathe again...

Life SCREWS YOU!

I can't remember whether I posted it or not, but basically I had a fender bender a couple weeks ago, where I bumped into the back of a car while I was in one of the newsvans. It really wasn't a big deal, a cop came in like 2 seconds and didn't even bother with a report because there was no damage.

So I didn't tell the station. Or my parents. I was really freaking out about it, I really don't want to get in trouble with the station over anything, and I figured not telling them was the best option, especially since there was no damage.

Well, guess who called up my mom while I was at work today? Yeah, the people I ran into. I don't even know their name, we were supposed to exchange info, but I just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible, so I didnt' really catch their names or numbers, though I did give them my number.

So my mom's paranoid about everything and is convinced these people are making it up to like, steal my identity or bilk us out of thousands of dollars or something. So she was pretty mean to the lady and all, "Well, if it happened in the company car (which is about the only info the lady had) call up the company!" which is true, it would be the station's insurance on this. But I specifically gave them my home number so that I could head this off before it got to the station if anything ever happened, though I don't know what good that would do if they were really determined to make a claim.

So I'm deathly afraid they'll call up the station and make me look bad. Especially since my mom was so rude to them. But on the other hand, my mom said all this happened this afternoon, and I was there this afternoon, so if they remembered where I worked (which I don't know how they COULDN'T, our call letters are all OVER that van, not to mention several gigantic NBC peacocks) they probably would've called then, right? Except I would've thought they would've called us earlier in general if they had a claim.

Anyway, they're TOTAL BASTARDS if they try to get money out of us or the station. Because seriously, there was NO damage to either vehicle. And the cop even said so. And the bump I gave them isn't enough for even whiplash. And there's no way in hell they even will get money out of anyone, considering that there's no way they can pin any significant damage on that little bump. But what they CAN do is make a claim at the station to make me look like an incompetant driver and a liar for not telling the station. And then I'm blackballed for any photog job in the state. And they don't get any money anyways.

I wonder if it's over "emotional distress" or some shit. Because my mom said the lady called (it was a lady and a guy), and I remember the guy was pretty cool about it but the woman kept freaking out and yapping at him in whatever their native language is and wouldn't speak to me at all. Whereas the guy kept saying stuff like, "It's okay, no damage, just a little scare" and when he said the little scare bit he openly gestured to his freaking-out wife. And I was totally nice to them, I said I was sorry about a thousand times.

I'm really freaking out about this. I hope they either forgot the station's name or decide not to be bastards about the whole thing.

No comments: