Monday, April 04, 2005

So work just was...bad today. I'm beginning to think I'm not going to get out of there without a complimentary reccomendation, I'm pissing off more and more people there.

Anchor lady sends me out to shoot a house fire. Gives me the address and then gets horribly upset when I ask about directions. Okay, I could see why me asking directions gets old, except for this tidbit: I-74, which is what I use EVERY time I go out on a story AND what Mapquest advises if you ask for directions from them, closed down yesterday. And it's not like I'm from peoria. So I thought I might get some help with the directions. Instead, I get reamed out. "You'll have to find things yourself one day, you know! You're never going to make it in this business, you loser!" Oh, and I do have a map of peoria, except I never bring it in because I don't have a desk or anywhere to put it so I know I'd lose it if I ever did. So I'm really up a creek on finding this on my own.

But I AM trying to, maybe seeing if mapquest could somehow navigate me somewhere without 74, and she just lays into me for not being fast enough! Okay... you want me to find directions on my own, but you somehow want me to do it instantly? Finally she does give me some directions, and is still angry that I take the time to write them down. Okay, dude, do you want me to spend 30 seconds writing them down, or 20 minutes driving around peoria with no idea where I am because I didn't write down the damn directions!?!?

To make matters worse, they were very, very, shitty directions. She tells me to turn left on Main... but neglects to tell me that Main is called "Western" at that one point. So I'm totally lost and too scared to call up the station to ask what went wrong. So I call my mom, who doesn't know Peoria anymore than I do, but has a map. She gets me to the right road. But, of course, it's one of those roads that doesn't go all the way through. Who invented those? Seriously. Making a road not connect all the way is the dumbest possible thing ever. I can see the reason behind one way roads, and sort of roads that are named one thing one place but have a different name after awhile. But roads that don't go all the way through are the DEVIL.

So I give up and call the station and I get the nice weekend anchor guy, and he tells me how to get there, and I do, and there's no fire. And it's not like I missed it, there is NO fire there. There's nothing black, there's not even a smell. I either have the wrong address or... there's no fire. THEN I have to call the station again to get back because I have no idea how to get back to where I started from after all that mess. And even with the instructions I still end up somewhere weird.

I went straight to something else (in Eureka. God bless Eureka for being small and not having I 74 blocked) and when I came back no one yelled at me, so I'm thinking nice anchor guy might've covered for me with anchor lady? It sucked, though. I was crying on the phone to my mom. You really don't want to call and ask for directions when before you left you were given this self righteous lecture on how you should not need directions. It's the worst feeling in the world. Well... not the absolute worst. I think the real low point of this internship was when I went up to a car accident and had to ask if anyone died. And second lowest was when DB chewed me out about stuffing his camera in his cubby with his ginormous bag. But this is definately in the top 3.

No comments: