Saturday, April 09, 2005

So today was pretty decent for a work day. First off, no DB. Maybe I assumed wrong when I thought I was going to have to get his gear every day. Though, now that I said that, I bet it goes back to the way it was and I DO have to get his gear every day because I jinxed it by saying that on here.

First off I helped with a liveshot, which actually didn't happen, because the station wasn't recieving the signal. Yet another pope thing. AND since the "real" photographer was so busy trying to get the signal to work, I actually got to shoot the ceremony. I didn't get to edit it, but my parents saw it and they say it's good. Though, that means nothing to me professionally, because they can't tell what's good or not in news. Which makes me think, since the audience for news has no idea what's good or not, I don't know why we go to all the bother of making these elaborate rules about what's good or not that make our work harder without really being appreciated by whoever it's targeted at. But hey, maybe they notice subconciously...

Then afterwards, I had a story at Bradley University, they have this thing called 24 hours of music, which they put on a 24 hour show of various different musical acts, and a certain percentage of the profits they make goes to some VH1 charity that helps save school music programs. It was a lot of fun. I think it's amazing when people, such as the organizers of the thing tonight, thank me and thank me and thank me to come to something like this, when I actually LOVE being there. I would SO rather be there than a boring old town council meeting or something. Or worse, back at the newsroom doing nothing at all. Anyway, I'm going to put more up about the show at Alternatune, if anyone's interested.

Only downside is I got lost. Peoria, for those who don't know, has the Illinois river running through it, so to get to the west side (which of course most things are in the west side) I have to go over a bridge. Which, I used to mostly get there using 74 via the Murray-Baker bridge. Which, of course, is closed. So the choices are the McLuggage Bridge (yeah, I'm sure I butchered the spelling on that), the something that starts with C bridge, whatever bridge the 474 bypass goes over, and the Bob Michel bridge.

The McLuggage bridge I've done surprisingly well on, I haven't gotten lost on any of the 2 or 3 missions I've been sent over it. And the C bridge, I've not even gone on enough to know what the actual name is, though I managed to find my way on that one. But the Bob Michel bridge is the DEVIL. This is the second time I've gotten horrendously lost because of a route going over it. Somehow I made it to the music thing, even though I was lost, by just tooling around town until I hit the road I knew I needed to be on by pure accident. It did NOT cross paths with the road it was supposed to, according to my directions. I took like 4 or 5 turns to get to it. And then I got worse lost on the way back, because I couldn't remember what I did. And also, I don't think you can get back on 74 from the place you get off of it to get to the Bob Michel bridge anyway.... Both times I've gotten terribly lost because of Bob Michel I end up accidently driving all the way to a 474 access point (which takes a lot of time, it's not exactly close) and getting back to the station that way. Anyway, that whole rant probably means nothing to you, but it means I dread driving anywhere on the stupid Bob Michel bridge. And looked like a nimrod again to the people at the station.

So anyway, since I shot two things and did a helluva lot of driving, my day was pretty busy, so I liked it.

No comments: