Monday, November 26, 2001

Now that I'm a little more well-rested, I'll try to explain the nature of my hangover. My friend Jon and I started a four square club here at Bard. Four square, for those of you who grew up in disadvantaged caves, literally feeding from the waste of those around you, is an "elementary school game." I played it every day of recess for six years, and now that I'm playing it again, after having taken a ten year break, I realize that there is no game on this earth that I enjoy more.


To start a club at Bard, or at least a funded club, you have to make a presentation to a budget committee. Our club, the BFAMCIFSL (Bard's First Annual Mens' Coed Intramural Four Square League), requested $250 fo a game that costs roughly four dollars to play. So, accordingly, we went into the meeting wearing four square t-shirts, we gave all of the committee members pens that read "I (heart) giving money to four square," we made overheads illustrating the design of the court, personal business cards of our club, complete with our corporate logo (which may or may not be the default corporate logo on the business card template in microsoft publisher), and last but not least, a 3' by 5' board, complete with both a pie chart and a bar graph, illustrating what various things are "sport" was superior to. They only gave us $50 (they couldn't figure out what we needed the money for).


A lot has happened since then, but to make a long story short, we've played something like six games now, we play on a weekly basis. We've moved to our indoor court for the winter. Basically, (there really is no good way to explain any of this, it really has to be experienced) 25-50 people stand in line, often "inebriated" or "intoxicated," and play four square. It's really ridiculous, and it's a lot of fun. People come in costumes, people play music, we have fun. Games start at 10 PM, and never stop before 2 AM. It's intense, it's ridiculous, and it's just incredibly fun.


And the next day is always a hangover.


Duude, I have to start playing four square again some day.

No comments: