Wednesday, November 21, 2001

Sexing Fruit Flies

It's funny how a certain song can take you back in time......

Last night I was listening to the radio, and I heard Sean Mullins's Rockabye, which swoooooooooosh, suddenly I was thinking about Junior year of high school. (thats when it was popular)

I started thinking about how great Junior year was.

Yes, this is candy coating nostalgia, I know things weren't quite the rose colored haze that my memory makes them out to be, but still, sophmore and junior year were damn good times for me, sometimes I even think that I (sadly) peaked there.

The song particularly reminds me of driving home from school--because that's when I had the radio on. But it reminds me that it was always dark out, because I was driving home late. Why? Scholastic Bowl--the one time in my life that I've ever had passion about anything, that I've ever put work into, and not lost interest in, is Scholastic bowl--kept me at school late. Yes, I know I'm a dork..... (Scholastic Bowl is sort of a competative trivia game) I also remember coming home late after "sexing fruit flies."

Heh, I know "sexing fruit flies" sounds dirty, but it's basically looking at them under a microscope to tell whether they are male or female. I'm not exactly sure why we had to mark down how many we had of each, but we did. (the whole thing was part of a genetics experiment in biology). They didn't give us enough time in class to do it, and out of our group of four, only two of us could come after class, and most other groups went before class, so usually the deserted lab would have just me and my best friend Karen. Weird as it sounds, I think I've had some of the deepest conversations in my life while sexing fruit flies.

Sophmore year and junior year were when my friendships were the strongest. Me and my small group of close knit friends talked all the time, I felt more accepted than I ever have in my life. I got the internet, Junior year. I found a community of people that I loved.

But now scholastic bowl's over. Karen and I started to grow apart even before we graduated, I'm not "mature" enough for her. My other friends hardly e-mail me at all, not e-mailing me even when I notify them I am going through a wrenching arguement with my mother. And my online community...........dead. People gradually drift away online too, I guess. But when people drift away, it hurts. It's worse than not having them in the first place.

Hmm......mucho depressing :P
Oh well

No comments: