Sunday, June 30, 2002

My Dad's shed is beginning to rot, and be infested with ants and such. Well, not just beginning. It was thoroughly rotted and infested. So, he's having to take off much of the siding and replace it and blah blah blah.... He actually bought it from this one high school that made their advanced shop (excuse me.... Much like Home Ec says they're "FACS (family and consumer sciences)" Shop says it's Industrial Technology now :P) class put these little sheds together, and then they sell them at the end of the year. It's actually lasted him at least almost 20 years, because it's been around as long as I can remember. When we were little, we'd actually play in it during the summer. We had dress up clothes in it, and plastic food, and a plastic oven etc. Some of the neighbor's kids would actually come to play in our shed too. And Dad would take us all on wagon rides through the neighborhood. Now it pretty much houses his weed wacker, christmas decorations, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Aaaaanyhoos, yesterday he bought a whole lot of building materials from Lowe's, and we had to haul them all out of the truck he rented before he had to return it. Part of this involved me getting up on the truck bed and pushing the bricks (he'd gotten for some other project) towards the edge so that he could reach them and carry them away. Thanks to bending over and doing this, today the backs of my legs are killing me. Not only that, I'm suffering severe indignities.

When I walk, I don't limp, because both legs hurt when I walk. So now I convey myself Lurch-style, though a bit more erratic. And (besides going up and down stairs) the most painful thing is probably sitting. There, I have a choice:

1) Slowly. This extends my pain, and I have to lower myself down very old-person like. This is how I have to bend over for things, as well.
2) All at once, flopping in the chair. This gives me a brief burst of intense pain, causing me to sort of exhale "oof," very old person like. So either way, I can't get away from the old-person-ness.

Oh well.... As a neighbor pointed out, I'm 20, in the prime of my life. I have to be a pretty big weanie not to be able to move a few bricks around :P

No comments: