Saturday, June 15, 2002

Why do I even bother? If anyone remembers my previous post about going over to my sister's to help carry bricks and stuff, could you PLEASE explain to me why I thought it would be different when I came out there yesterday to help them build the stairs to her porch?

When I came over, I screwed in a few screws. I've never used a power screwdriver before, it was kind of fun. After that, there was nothing for me to do for a long time. Finally, Dad came up with a "job" for me to do, some of the old parts of the railing needed some screws in, because they were kind of loose and he didn't think that the nails the contractor originally put in were getting the job done.

However, they weren't ready for my "job" for awhile. I kept asking and asking when to do it, making a general nuisance of myself. "Are you ready yet? Are you ready yet? Are you ready yet?" After awhile, I realized I was being a nuisance, so I went in to watch TV until they were ready for me to do my "job." Then, my Mom and Grandma come. They go into the kitchen and talk for a tiny bit, and then troop into the room I'm in, sit all around me, and start talking more. So, without including me in their damn conversation, giving me something to do, because they've certainly fucked up my TV watching by coming out where I was to talk, they go on with their conversation. Finally, I'm like, "Should I go downstairs to watch TV, then?" and they're like "yes."

So, I finish "Grumpy Old Men" in the basement. I come up to see how far they're coming with the porch, and if they're ready for my "job." And they did my job. They did my fucking job. They did the whole reason I was there for the last two and a half hours without me. I was pissed. And hurt. I leave them alone to get the stuff they had to do first done, and they do it without me. And it's obvious I cared, I only asked them 80 times before going in to watch TV when they'd be ready, and it kept being "a couple minutes." And I would've been able to check in, or be found a whole hell of a lot easier if the other half hadn't forced me down into the basement.

Dad said I could do something else, so I waited awhile. And they kept not being ready. And I'm thinking "Screw this. They don't need me anyway. They didn't even need me for what I did earlier. I'm basically here to play with power tools. It's not worth it to wait for another several hours, especially considering if I go to watch TV that I'll be screwed again." So I said nevermind and left. But it hurt. I'm probably irrational, but it really hurt my feelings. So: Note to Self: Do not become involved in any more home improvement projects at sister's house.

No comments: