Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Well, today I didn't work on the novel at all. But I think I'll make it up tomorrow, traditionally Wednesday seems to be the least busy day of my week this semester.

I could've had time today, only I spent two hours on my resume tape for WEEK. I asked my news director if anything I'd done stood out, and she was all, "you should put one of the town council meetings you did last semester on!" because since I did boring meeting-type stuff all the time, I really had it down, apparently. And it shows you can do your best on stuff that's even boring. Except, it was like, all of those disappeared! I spent most of the two hours looking through tapes to find town council meetings I did. I could only find one, and couldn't even use it because someone added some other footage that sort of had something to do with the story later, to make it more interesting, and I didn't shoot that footage, so I couldn't really pass it off as my own work.

So anyway, I finally got tired of it. And my production director said I shouldn't bother with old stories anyway, because at the stage I am in right now, the newer my stuff is, the better. So I put on five of the stories I did this semester: gas prices, prep. for the inauguration of the university president, afterschool programs, homecomeing couple, and the one where my reporter ate a dog biscuit. Very professional.

Then, my time was further stolen today, as my one prof decided that for this week and next week, he's going to make us stay longer at the tuesday screenings and let us skip Thursday afternoons. So I couldn't really work on it after that, because it's so late. Though, here's me clearly contradicting myself by spending time blogging. But I really do need this time to relax, I'm.... swamped, probably because of the novel. But in addition, I just wrote a paper, have another paper this week on a book I haven't read yet (Ways of Seeing), have a test on monday, mostly on a fistful of film articles I haven't read yet, and will no doubt have a quiz on another book I haven't read yet (Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf) because he always springs them on us to make sure we've read whatever it is.

And I bombed the quiz on Death of a Salesman today because I didn't get a chance to read it. But hey, he throws out one or two of them, I think, so I'm not that worried. The movie version of it I watched tonight.... depressing as hell. Though, I guess that means it did it's job, because I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be depressing. Basically it's about a dude who busts his ass all his life to try and get the American Dream, and never does, and basically ends up with no job and no money, and dysfunctional relationships with his wife (who he cheats on), his one son (who is on the same self-destructive road he's on), and his other son (who he tries to live vicariously through, but the son is tired of the rat race and wants to get out of the business). I found it particularly scary, as this is an issue I'm fixating on lately, as I grow ever nearer to having to deal with "the real world." I don't want to end up like the father, who locks himself into a horrible job his whole life and never makes anything of himself, but I don't want to end up like the one son either, who is like 30, and still "trying to find himself." So... yeah.

Oh, on the good side, in class earlier, he played "Loser" for us, because it's another exibit of slacker culture. He's always playing lame music videos for horrible songs, but finally he picked a good one. Though, the actual video was still lame. But greatest song ever! In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey....

Fred sits alone at his desk in the dark
there's an awkward young shadow that waits in the hall
he's cleared all his things and he's put them in boxes
things that remind him that life has been good
twenty five years, he's worked at the paper
a man's here to take him downstairs
and I'm sorry, Mr. Jones, it's time


--"Fred Jones Part II" Ben Folds

No comments: