Friday, June 03, 2005

I guess I'm in a loquacious mood tonight, this is like my 18th post. But what I wanted to mention is, having been in not one, but TWO libaries lately (boy am I ever edumacated), I was thinking of those READ posters. I like how trendy they are. Just as soon as anyone gets big, they have a READ poster. I think if I ever got a READ poster I'd be crazy with happiness, because it'd be a signal that I have really arrived.

Anyway, I'd like to know what they do with the old READ posters once they're done with them. They had an Orlando Bloom poster in the Carey E. Burdette Memorial Library, and I had to mourn the Michael J. Fox READ poster of my youth. Anyway--there have to be TONS of those things. Because the Normal Public Library and Milner Library (ISU's Library) just have them all over the place, not to mention my high school library, my jr high library, and my grade school library. And most of them are celebrities that are pretty famous right whenever I'm in there. So they must come out with 5 or 10 every year or couple of years. What do they do with all the old ones?

Anyway, if they just throw them away, I wish they would just give them to me. I'd love to be "that chick who collects READ posters." That could be my thing. If I became really famous for it, I could be on the quintessential READ poster, holding up an old READ poster in one hand, and the book of my choice in the other hand. But on an entirely serious note: I would love to collect old READ posters. I think it would be interesting to be like, "Man! Boyz II Men rated a READ poster, but not Weird Al? I can't believe Christina Aguilara's reading 'The Feminist Ethic' in her READ poster! I don't care what anyone says, Michael J. Fox looked HOT in that READ poster, and I'm going to make out with it every night from now on!"

I do think it's kind of funny that most of the READ posters I see over the years are from people I KNOW don't read (Eminem, Fred Durst, The Rock), and/or are movie or TV stars who basically are what are drawing kids away from reading in the first place.

Which, by the way, is something I'm sad about. I saw the trailer for The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe the other day and it pretty much strikes me that all the great kids books from when I was little are going to be movies and most kids aren't going to bother reading them anymore. And reading them just makes you love them SO MUCH. There's not a single movie I can remember watching as a kid that I still really love, but I have a ton of kids books that I still do. They just totally stick with me so much more, I can remember the awe I used to feel. But they're plumbing every book from when I was little, plus anything new that comes along that could possibly encourage reading and make it into a movie almost before you can turn around.

And I'm actually annoyed at all the book, comic book, TV, inspired movies. It's not that I hate them. But just... when there are SO many it just continues the homogeny. No one wants to make a movie to be a movie or a book to be a book anymore, which is sad because when something is crafted from start to finish to be what it is, it's usually a better product than adaptions, and so much more variety when everyone's trying to come up with original products for their medium.

Oh well.

No comments: