Thursday, June 16, 2005

So I'm back from my grandpa's. You losers didn't miss me. Losers!

I think I'm going to have a new step-grandma soon. And my mom didn't make a horrible scene about it like I thought she would. So that's good.

I am currently sleep deprived. I would like to make a crotchety old person observation: "They can put a man on the moon, but they can't make a pull out bed that's comfortable?" Seriously. I think it's true, they never have. There's always that hump in the middle where it folds. They should do something about that. Seriously.

Also: the guy my grandpa sold his house to (they haven't moved out yet, but they HAVE sold the house) just came and decided to mow at the crack of dawn for no reason I can tell, robbing me of yet more sleep.

We got first dibs on stuff he was rounding up for the garage sale. I ended up with some afghans that I didn't really want because I already have a ton of afghans. And the few things I would've enjoyed taking, my mom vetoed.

For one thing, they had a ton, a TON of old records. And this one Nat King Cole album was the only thing I found recognizeable at all. I bet there are some very valuable records in there.

Anyway, I saw an album of banjo music that I really wanted, but my mom wouldn't let me take it. She apparently has something against the banjo. And I promised her I wouldn't play it around her, but she was having none of that. It really irritated me. What's it to her if I take a banjo record? There was also a record, that I didn't particularly want but I want to mention because it's funny, it had a midget on the cover, playing a gigantic harp, and it was called, "Have harp, can't travel." I saw that, and it was like, "What the....?"

I also saw some old staplers. The kind that're steel, with the knob thing on top. I was attracted to them. I DO have a weird stapler fixation. And I'm not just saying that to be funny. I love staplers. I don't even know why. I knew there was no way my mom would let me have them, though, so I didn't say anything.

There was an antique camera that was really cool, but I wouldn't know what to do with it.

And the thing I really wanted were some plates. Actually, I have plates for when I move out, my sister had a set and got a better set when she got married, so I'd get her castoffs. But these plates were super-cool because my grandpa stole them from the U.S. Marine Corps. Honestly--he was a supply sergeant in world war II, and at the end of the war he took a set of Marine Corps. china home with him. And the stuff's still in really good condition. AND I think it could be worth a lot of money, I looked up the manufacturer on the internet, and while I couldn't find Marines china, I did find Navy china, and the Navy china was pretty expensive. You could probably sell it for a lot, but obviously my grandpa wants to get moved out pretty fast and doesn't have the time. But I would love to keep it myself, and if I couldn't, I think it would be better to sell it to a collector who appreciates what it is, instead of selling it a dime a plate at a garage sale. And my mom put her foot down about that, too, which really upsets me. I mean, maybe she thought it was frivolous, but I actually DID want that china. And I DID want that record. I know well enough not to get something that would just collect dust, like the staplers, but apparently all I get to remember my grandparents by is blankets I didn't want anyway.

Anyway, there was tons more things, none of which I wanted. My grandma was a total packrat. 8 track tapes, ugly knick knacks, old tools, toilet seat, waffle iron, juicer, heater, ad nauseam......

Phoemeister: eww
Phoemeister: I just realized I kind of like the new backstreet boys song
Tina: :: LAUGHS:: poor baby

I overheard that you were unhappy too

--"The Velorium Camper Pt. II: Backend of Forever" Coheed & Cambria

No comments: