Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Today I renewed my membership in the very exclusive Carey E. Burdette Memorial Libary. Yes, I spell Libary wrong on purpose because it gives me a sense of whimsey.

While I was there I got A Beautiful Mind, which, amazingly, is the basis for the movie A Beautiful Mind. It's proving quite interesting. The movie simplifies and invents a TON. And John Nash so far is a pretty big jerk. But I like it.

I also got an autobiography of Buzz Aldrin during the space-race years. Normally I only really read fiction, but the Carey E. Burdette Memorial Libary is rather limited in what it carries, so I had to be creative and broaden my browsing to include the non fiction section, which is how I ended up with two biographies.

Lastly, I got the new Michael Crichton book. Weirdly--I'm not so fond of it so far. It was the first book I started reading but it was really boring so I went to A Beautiful Mind. I have to say, this is the first M.C. book I've read where I've not been immediately hooked into the action. He seems to be trying to establish characters or something. Which, he shouldn't. We all know that his strength is fast-paced plotting, not characters. Oh well.... I'll try another whack at it, I'm sure. Maybe I'll like it then.

No comments: