Friday, June 03, 2005

So no black eye. Mostly, my eyelid is bright pink, and it looks like I was all, "this will be pretty!" and put eyeshadow on one eye but not the other.

And I remembered what I wanted to blog about before though it's not that important. It was that show, Hit Me Baby One More Time. Generally I'm anti-reality shows and doubly anti-anything-referencing-Britney-Spears, but I thought it sounded like the awesomest show EVER.

But it wasn't. No campyness whatsoever. Which... you'd think is pretty much the point. But it wasn't good either. It was just... eh. First off: the announcer made Ryan Seacrest look like...I dunno, someone you like a helluva lot better than Ryan Seacrest. He just had the blandest most annoyingly british personality ever. And I LIKE british things. But he grated on my last nerve. He reminded me of those clueless hosts on SNL sketches of European pop music shows. 10 to 1 that's a made up british accent.

Secondly: they show what each artist has done since then, and I know it's kind of mean, but I'm expecting them to be all sad that they're washed up, but they aren't, they all STILL have huge houses with huge pools and loving spouses and are still working in the industry they love. It just makes you depressed about your own life. I'm 23. I'm unemployed. No one loves me. I have nothing better to be doing than watching Hit Me Baby One More Time. And Loverboy has a mansion? The world is not fair! It just makes you want to rip that ludicrous middle aged man-ponytail right off the lead singer of Flock of Seagulls!

So anyway, most of the old songs (they have to each play their one hit and then a cover of a newer hit by someone else) I was never hugely fond of anyway. It was funny, the fake young, attractive crowd they had pretending to rock out only really seemed sincere when rocking out to the like, 2 bands whose hit was even big since they've been born.

Arrested Development won this section, which I actually agree with mostly on the basis of the "cover of a new song" portion. Where Flock of Seagulls actually took a song I like (On The Way Down--Ryan I can't spell his last name :P) and made it HORRIBLE, and Loverboy took a song I hate (Hero--Enrique I also can't spell his last name) and made it even worse, and Tiffany pretty much sung her song (Break Away -- Kelly Clarkson) exactly like the song is originally, Arrested took a decent song (How Far is Heaven -- Los Lonely Boys) and put an interesting spin on it that didn't totally suck. Really... I'd never heard of them before, which also probably helps them annoy me less.

No comments: