Sunday, October 09, 2005

A couple days ago, I had two days off of work right together. And then I worked two more days. And here I am again, with two more days off. I could get to like that work ratio.....

....except what it probably means is I'm going to be stuck working 10 days in a row until I get another day off, which will kind of suck.

But on the plus side: having so many days off recently actually made me feel energized enough that today my family went out to lunch and shopping, and I actually came with. So I got a good lunch at Noodles (best. restaurant. ever.) and some goodies paid for by my mom.

Said goodies consisting of:

1) Gloves. Really, I don't need gloves that bad, but I DO tend to like to have a pair for every coat so I can keep them in the coat and not be stuck without gloves because I forgot which coat I keep them in. Plus, they're really cute. They're various shades of red, very thick and cozy. They're furry, like, Cookie Monster furry, I've been calling them my "muppet hands." Though they're red, I avoid comparing them to Elmo, as he is not a muppet I'm a fan of. And that's saying something, I'm all about muppets. Tangentially, one coworker of mine has been calling me a "muppety bitch." We were discussing the picture of Dolly Parton on her new album, and I said she looked "muppety." Because she DOES. I don't know if she's had plastic surgery or what, but if you've seen that picture, you KNOW I'm telling the truth about her looking muppety. Then, my coworker came up with the phrase "muppety bitch," and we thought it was hilarious. So... yeah, that story never went anywhere. I just wanted to share with people the joy of the phrase "muppety bitch," while I was on the topic of muppets anyway.

2) Purple button down shirt. I don't have to dress up for work, but I kind of like it. I don't know if I'm trying to kid myself that my job's more important that it is, or if I have a latent clotheshorse gene just sprouting, but lately I've been all about dress shirts.

3) Teal suede purse. Okay, if you know me very well you're going: purse? Because I don't carry around a purse, and haven't since high school. First off: purses are way inconvienent. Secondly: I have the (completely understandable given my absentmindedness) gigantic fear that I'll just set it down and leave it somewhere. BUT: occaisionally you need a purse, if you're a girl, because those bastards don't put pockets in dress pants or dresses or skirts, so if you dress up, you're stuck bringing a purse. And the purse I do have is pretty ugly. And my mom was pressing me to get a purse since we saw them on sale. I think she secretly hopes I'll love the purse so much that I'll take to actually using a purse and become more ladylike, but I don't think that's going to happen. I was going to stay strong on the no purse front, but my sister pointed out "how much longer is Mom going to buy you stuff anyhow? You might as well." Oh, and another thing about purses: I don't embrace the "tiny shoulder strap so you basically have to wedge the thing under your armpit" trend, but that's all there was, so I guess if you ever see me with my purse, I'm going to look like one of those idiots with my purse wedged under my armpit.

Also, my sister gave me some of her clothes that she's too skinny for now. Seriously, who else gets THINNER from having a baby? But I can't hate the phenomenon, it got me some new clothes.

I also got to hang out with the 'phew. It's been some weeks since I did such because my sister doesn't seem to schedule these family get together things when I'm off work, and sometimes when one does coincide with when I'm free, I am dead tired and don't feel like it. Anyway: it was great. He was in a very happy mood (which doesn't always happen, you know how kids are. Plus, he is literally sick ALL THE TIME. I swear, there must be plague rats at that day care of his or something) and was happpy to play. Also, he still recognizes me and likes me (though maybe not as much as the rest of the family, *sigh* I hope when he gets older he likes to read because then AHA I will be his favorite because we have tons of cheap children's books around the store that would even further be discounted for me). Anyway, I won't dote too much, as that gets boring to read, but (and I have had this confirmed by some coworkers who saw him the last time my sister visited the store) he is the cutest EVER. And he's old enough that he can run around a little (not without the assistance of a cart or someone holding his hands or something) and throw stuff around a little, so we had a grand old time playing together.

Oh, also I borrowed some books from the store, which is a job perk. Though: not that much of a perk, when you think about it, as you can easily do that at the library. Still convenient though. I got the new Neil Gaiman, the sequel to American Gods, and I have high hope for it. I also got (and have read already) the new Nick Hornby novel and it is awesome as ever. I have some thoughts about it up at Karaoke Supernova

No comments: