Saturday, October 22, 2005

Gah. Someone was a total bastard to me today. Why do people think they can just shit all over anyone in retail or food service? And another thing: I don't make the rules, okay! If I refuse to give you a discount you think you deserve but you really don't, you're out 25% the retail price of some damn book. If I go ahead and accept it, I'm in hot water with the people who employ me. Got it?

That's one crappy thing about working at a store that offers about a thousand coupons. On any given day, there's at least one coupon valid at the store. And the thing is: people get REALLY pissed off when they misinterpret either when a coupon is valid or they realize that the coupon discount doesn't come off the sale price of something already discounted. And you know what? I'm actually with the store on this one. They have to make a profit somehow, and if something's already discounted quite a bit, we'd actually be losing money if you could use the coupon on it. I do have to say, I'm secretly with the customer when they bitch about how expensive the CD's and DVD's are if you don't happen to have a coupon or a sale. I myself go to to Best Buy most times, even WITH my employee discount. But again: not my fault, people.

In other news: I swear, I really do like my job. It's just easier to muster up the enthusiasm for complaining about utter pricks than the funny guy who bought High Times last night (re: the post earlier today) or the woman who wanted an Orson Scott Card novel earlier tonight who I totally ROCKED her WORLD by knowing everything about the Ender's Game series, or this cute guy I bantered with about Batman Begins. Does that make me a negative person? I guess. But mostly I'm more negative on my blog than in real life.

OH, and here's something awesome: I got a little commendation in my file today from agreeing to a crazy shift change at short notice a few weeks ago. So rock on.

New KS, too. Wherein I love a guy for buying an album I like (positive), announce my love for my new Muppet christmas album (positive), enjoy being able to play Brand New at work (positive), added links to some blogs of bands I like (positive), changed the decor from blue to green (positive), and downed Boulevard of Broken Dreams (negative).

Crap. In all the negativity and then analysis thereof, I forgot to mention my parents visited. I have only myself to blame, I keep giving them the aforementioned coupons. But anyway, it was pretty hilarious. My mom was like, "Where's Little Richard?" and I found Little Richard, and then it turned out she meant Stevie Wonder. Dude. NOTHING in common there. I also sold her the new Rod Stewart album (pure salesmanship on my part, she didn't even know he had a new one, but I knew of her Rod Stewart listening tendencies). I feel justified hanging out with my mom at work, as she actually does buy a buttload of crap, so is a real customer. In a way: I have to admire her. I have this weird part of me that feels bad about myself when I buy a lot of useless stuff, even when it's well within my means, but she doesn't seem to. I mean, the two stevie wonder albums are getting three or four listens, tops. I see Rod faring slightly better at 10 or 15 listens. But I feel bad buying an album if I think I'll only listen to it for a month or two, or will only like a few tracks or something. Then again, being more of a saver is also a good thing. Anyway, I enjoyed their visit, and between them buying stuff and me buying the muppet album, we have 9 more coupons, so I think they might be visiting again next week. I can string them along forever in this fashion, muahahahaha.

No comments: