Friday, August 12, 2005

Today was pretty good, though I pretty much feel like crap on a stick now. Colitis just sucks... and every time I get used to one type of suckage, Colitis is all, "Well, I think I'm going to suck THIS way instead, now." Which basically means it's been hurting a lot lately, instead of just making me feel sick and disgusting.

For some reason, when it's like this, I'll be on the toilet thinking of that scene from the book Catch 22 where Yossarian is arguing with this other athiest about what sort of god they don't believe in. I.E. neither of them believe in god, but the woman he's talking to gets pissy when he says he doesn't believe in god because god would be a real fuck-up if there was one, and she thinks if there was a god he'd be kind and gentle. They get to this one point where Yossarian is just listing everything horrible in the world, and then includes pain. And she's like, "Pain is good! It warns us if there's something wrong with our bodies!" and he's all, "Isn't there a better way? Couldn't there be light-up indicators? I mean, a jukebox maker could do that! Why not god?" and she's like, "Well that'd just look silly." And he's all, "Well, yeah, we look SO dignified now, when we're writhing in pain." Anyway, dunno why I shared that, but I did.

My dad and I saw Four Brothers today. I think it shows that it's getting towards fall that there haven't been any big blockbuster action movies for a couple weeks. So dad asked me if I wanted to see this. He wasn't so sure about it because apparently it hasn't gotten as much press as some of the movies we've seen lately. My dad has lately started taking things like this into account more the last year or so, whether a film gets press or good reviews or whatever, and I honestly think it's the dumbest way possible to decide whether or not to see a movie, unless your taste is really in tune with critics. And seeing as how my dad likes primarily big dumb action movies--he's not exactly in tune with critics. Anyhoo, I was equally worried about it, though in my case it was because I'm not much for crime drama. But I really wanted to get out of the house. So bad.

Anyway: it was actually really, really, good. It's not so much a mystery as exploring the relationships of these four men with each other and the dead mother. And plus, there was some decent action. So it was funny, and touching, and had good action, which I find rare. And it (mostly) seemed like, "real," comedy, like things people would really say rather than all slick one-liners. So I would reccomend it to most people.

Also, I wanted to mention this dream I actually had awhile ago that just makes me laugh: I can't really remember the "storyline" so much, but I remember that Charlie Sheen lived in my neighborhood. And it was like... no big deal. Just, "Oh, yeah, that's Charlie Sheen. He lives down the street." Good times.

No comments: