Monday, October 29, 2001

Music is one of the most important things in my life right now.

It's my prozac. It's my shelter from the storm. It's the one thing that keeps me from spiraling into a whirling maelstrom of madness! Heh....okay, that last one isn't really true. But the first two are.

For some reason, this makes music a part of my identity. A part that I largely deny. Around people who listen to pop, I act more into pop. Around people who are into hard core, I act more like that. Around my Christian friends, I severely downplay the fact that most of what i listen to has curse words, or other unsavory types of things in it. Most people I know haven't even heard of half the bands I like.

Like....it's so sad. I was making a tape for my friend Wanda a few weeks ago--I get the impression that Wanda listens to slightly different things than I, and I was going nuts trying to put what I thought she'd like. Harder songs. Or more "funky" songs :P Awhile ago I visited my sister's house, and I was listening to the radio and a few CD's--and I was worried that it was too hard, that she'd think I was some social miscreant because she listens to softer stuff than I do.

Anyhoo, I'm going to define for myself what I like to listen to.

1) Hooks
A "hook" is the "catchy" part of the song, the part where you can get it in your head, or sing along, or hum along easily. For me, a song has to have a good hook. It might not be the strongest in the world, but it has to be there. I can't stand music that's disjointed, or you have no idea where it's going. It's why I don't like jazz, and it's why I don't like really really heavy songs that just have screaming and random guitar riffs.

But it can't be too hooky either. Songs that you know exactly where they're going the minute you hear them are boring. Songs that have strong hooks can be really repetative and can get on my nerves. Plus, songs with a strong hook are rigid, it's hard to fit the formula without your lyrics suffering. Songs that have a weaker hook can be more creative with their lyrics. Speaking of lyrics.....

2) Meaningful Lyrics
My favorite songs have a deep, personal meaning. They might describe where I was in my life when I first heard the song, or where I am now, or where I seem to always be. They might not even have anything to do with me, but a small verse or something will really mean something to me. I like music that makes me feel something, that makes me sadder, or happier, or funny songs that make me laugh. I'm alright with music I can't understand the lyrics, and lyrics that are kind of dumb sometimes, as long as the other elements are right, but I can't stand lyrics that are REALLY dumb, or obnoxious, or go against my beliefs. I prefer music to mean something, and not just be about some break up and how the guy wants the woman back or thinks she's hot or something. I want songs to MEAN something, even if they aren't about me. Such as Fred Jones, on the new Ben Folds CD--it's about this guy getting canned after working there 20 years. I'm only 20. I'm not going into forced retirement. But it means something.

3) Pop v. Rock
I like some pop, I like some rock, I really like pop rock. Music can't be too poppy--I get bored with it easily. Like, my Sister Hazel CD--I still like it, but I never listen to it. I lost interest. If music is too hard, I lose interest just the same. Many times, if music is too poppy or hard, I'm not even interested in the first place. Straight down the middle, that's me. Maybe that's why I like poppy punk bands such as Blink 182 and New Found Glory--They have the good guitar, the good beat, but they're not that hard.

4) Instruments
Which reminds me..... It HAS to have a guitar or piano. No manufactured crap with no instruments like *cough* N'Suck *cough*

5) Beat
A good beat can sometimes make up for sucky other elements. Like.....I finally confess, I have a small soft spot for those 80's europop dance tunes, like by C and C music factory, or that song they bump heads to in A Night at the Roxbury. Hell no, I've never bought any, but I don't usually change the station when the come on.

Again, with punk....I hear anything punky on the radio, and I immediately want to go out and buy it, even if it sucks. That beat and guitar riff thing instantly gets my foot tapping, and makes me happy. Pop punk rock is definately the most upbeat music I listen to.

6) Uniqueness
Although I will go out and buy a million carbon copy blink 182 wannabes, or generic rock bands, I DO prefer my my music to stand out in some way. I think that's why Everclear and Ben Folds Five are two of my absolute favorites. Art Alexakis--the lead singer of Everclear--has the most unique voice I've ever heard. I could be locked in a jail for 20 years in solitary confinement, and they could play a song with him on it--not even everclear music, it could be lounge style or hip hop or anything-and I'd recognize Art. Their actual instrument melodys are also pretty distinctive. Ben Folds rocks (along with many other reasons) because he uses piano. There isn't that much piano used in modern rock or pop today, unless it's some sappy love ballad--which Ben Folds/Ben Folds Five does not write sappy love ballads.

It also makes me happy to see some diversity in pop today. The fact that Nelly Furtado, Macy Gray, and Michelle Branch, Five For Fighting, people with actual talent *gasp* and a slightly different flavor for their music are on air makes me slightly less disapointed in pop radio today. Now, if only they wouldn't overplay them.

7) A Little Bit Country, a Little Bit Rock an' Roll
I don't like actual country too much, but I have a huge thing for bands with a country edge. Such as the Gin Blossoms and The Refreshments, straight out of Tempe, AZ, where apparently the music scene does that a good deal. I'm also into Old 97's--classified as an "alt-country" band. Old 97's are country-y, but they have so many other influences. Punk, the beatles, rock, pop--pretty diverse. And you can actually hear them in the music.

8) Fast v. Slow
I like fast a bit better, but slow can be nice. Depends on my mood

9) Anger
I like angry music I can sing along with when I'M angry. I use Everclear and Incubus for this purpose, mainly.

10) Long Notes
I like long notes that I can sing along with when I'm upset. There's something viscerally comforting at a primal level about taking in a lungful of air and then pushing it all out in one, soaring, long note. Yet another reason I love incubus, they seem to do it a lot.


There's probably more. But I can't think of it :P

No comments: