Saturday, February 15, 2003

I'm feeling incompetant and thwarted.

I went to this meeting about internships in the Communication department last week, and I was really excited about it. If I got an internship over the summer that counted for credit, I miiiight be able to graduate on time instead of stay here an extra semester. Mucho exciting! The type I would need to get is an on-campus internship, because they require you to know less and you need one before you can get an off-campus one. The guy sounded like it was easy as hell to get an internship on campus (in anything but TV and Radio) as long as you have the required hours and GPA, which I do.

But then I realized, 90% of my hours are from Gen ed courses. I really don't know what the hell I'm doing in the two areas (radio or TV) I would want to intern at. I'm in basic production for both, and we've not gone far in either class. And I feel way behind in radio, because everyone else in my class has actually worked at the radio station before. So at this point, though I am somewhat more interested in radio than TV, I would probably go for a TV internship, where I'm at least on equal footing with the other students in my class. Except I have to ask the professor for my TV class about an internship now if I want one by summer, which I don't want to do, because I shot camera this last week and royally screwed it up, and I'd like a chance to prove that I don't actually suck, I was just inexperienced before then, just so I can be like, "Yeah, I'm worth having as an intern!"

And is completing basic production in radio or TV enough to actually get me an internship, even on campus? Do I have to take advanced prod? And if I do put off an on-campus internship in order to get more experience first, will I have to stay in school even longer than I estimated before this whole internship thing came up so that I can get an off-campus internship, which I NEED if I want one millionth of a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job after I graduate?

And I totally missed the meeting they held early in the semester that you need to go to if you want to work at the radio this semester because it was the same time as the most pointless, boring, stupid, lame, dumbass class ever, Hardware and Software concepts. We're curently multiplying 1's and 0's in the class right now.

....grr

No comments: