Wednesday, April 24, 2002

.....and since the audition last night, I'm even questioning my major.

No, I'm not questioning it because of one stupid bad audition.... I'm questioning it because I want to be in production, and I finally found out what production was.

Yes: the definition of stupid is to declare your major in something, in order to have a career in something, and you didn't even know what the hell that something was.

See, I had this impression that production was something to do with content. Like, writing or administration or something. I should've gone into english, if I wanted to write: but I don't want to write all the lame ass papers they make you do, I'm drowning in papers already, without being a damn english major. I should've gone into business if I wanted to administrate: but I didn't want to get stuck into a dilbert comic. Really, for anyone out there choosing a major: unless you have some special skill at something, pick business, even if the thought of it makes you want to retch. Unless you're going to teach, or go into another highly demanded profession, the only major that you can usually find SOME sort of job in after college if your grades are decent is Business. They tell you to go to college so you can get a job, but the truth is that's only true if you go into business. Or a vocational school. Damn I wish I'd gone to a vocational school..... Shorter, cheaper.... I could be a plumber right now, making some decent cash.

Actually, the producer presses the buttons. This process is estimated to be automated by 2006. Yea. And DJing--as the audition shows, I'm completely unsuited to. And even if I was, it pays really shitty, and you don't even need to have had college to be one. If I wanted to be a DJ, I wouldn't have had to live in the hell that is ISU for the last two years, and pay them all my money. Plus, even if producing wasn't being automated, and DJing didn't suck, there's becoming less and less jobs for either in this country, because of another phenomenon: centralization. Lately, the law that limits how many radio stations someone can own was overturned. Now there are these HUGE corporations snapping up as many stations as they can throughout the country, putting as many "mom and pop" stations out of business as possible. Then, most of the production and DJing etc. gets done at the home office, and the local station runs on a skeleton crew. Meaning: less jobs.

But not only that, the trend disturbs me as a music listener. The last few years as this has happened, music on the radio gets more and more homogenous. Why? All the stations are owned by big corporations. None of them want to risk playing stuff that's unpopular. And it sucks even when the radio stations would be playing the same kind of stuff anyway: because lately, several of my local stations have joined up. This means I flip on the radio, and I get several duplicates. If one song's on one, it's in exactly the same place on the other station. Two stations have basically become one station on two different frequencies.

So.... I'm not going to have a job. I'm going to have to fall back on my computers minor. Only there aren't any computer jobs, because people have been told for so many years that computers are profitable and to go into them, that there is a glut in the market. And can a minor really compete with full blown majors anyway? Probably not.

I don't know what the hell I want to do, and am probably going to stay with this stupid major (even worse, I don't even know what the classes are like, I could hate them) so I can graduate on time. Or close to time, I pissed away a lot of time before I even chose a major.

No comments: