Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I just HAVE to whine about my awful ethics class again.

1) I have a small paper due EVERY day. They justify this saying we have 16 days of class, so one day of class is like a week of class in a regular semester. The thing is, though, I have never had a class where I had a paper due every week. Plus, it's not like we get time off, we spend as much time in class in one day as you would during a week in one regular semester.

2) I have to read my brains out, on top of this. Maybe I wouldn't mind if the books had anything to do with anything.
a) book one is common sense crap, that you know already. Reporters are under pressure to get stories done on time. Reporters should stay impartial. Etc. I wouldn't even bother reading the book except we're quizzed on minute details of examples the book gives of "ethical dillemmas." I have to read 30-60 pages of this damn book every night.
b) book two is by this hyperpretentious guy who thinks that he is trying to prevent the fall of western society. He's afraid everything will go to pot and we'll end up living in a world similar to the one in Huxley's Brave New World. The whole book is just his unsupported opinion on how people only care about entertainment. And he wanders into all this crap that doesn't even have to do with his main opinion, like how the invention of clocks have supposedly brought about the downfall of religion. I think he wants to be Huxley but doesn't have the finesse. Thankfully, I only have to read 10-15 pages of this a night.
c) book three is a series of point-counterpoint articles about issues in the media. I've only read one chapter yet (going to do the rest after I'm done ranting) but both the articles annoyed the hell out of me. The first article had it's points, but the guy writing it was convinced that people using curse words on TV was causing the fall of western society. He's afraid of homogenization, but he's the type of guy who if he had his way, everyone would be watching only what he approves of. The second article was saying that media is actually anti-homogenization, and the guy didn't have a leg to stand on. His big example was how sattellite TV has encouraged women's liberation in India. But he's full of crap, because it's global homogenization, basically trying to turn India into the west. And while I DO approve of women's liberation in India, I do get pissed from time to time when I hear about how our culture is so great that countries like India are so much better off now that they're like us. I have to read 20-30 pages of this a night.

3) 3 hours every weekday besides Friday sitting there listening to him lecture is so boring I want to smack myself for taking summer school.

Well, I have to go now. I have 20 pages to read and a paper to write before class.

No comments: