Monday, May 19, 2003

Summer School: the final frontier.

First off, I parked reeeally far away from the class, so I really had to hurry to get there. My calves were on fire. I think I must really be a lump of fat if I really couldn't walk that fast for that length and end up with burning calves.

Then, I found out I needn't have hurried, seeing as how I accidently came an hour early.

So I bought my books. Campus is really weird in the summer, btw. I felt like I was in one of those post-apocolyptic movie scenes where all the buildings and stuff are intact but there's no one around. Weirdly, even though hardly anyone was around, I managed to bump into Ed from the England trip last year. I thought we were decent aquaintences at the time, but talking to him again was really awkward. I hate talking to people like that, when I haven't seen them for a year and didn't know their whole life story before that anyway, because you feel obligated to talk to them, but you don't know what to say and odds are they're not too keen on talking to you either but don't want to be impolite.

Then was the actual "class" portion of my time on campus. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the bit of class where the instructor basically goes over the sylabus with a fine tooth comb and bores you to tears? Yeah. I have to grant to this guy that he hasn't yet reached Uber-Ben-Stein-Style-Boringness yet, but it was pretty close, plus i'm not into the subject matter. Classes on ethics suck, by college you pretty much know what you think is right and wrong and pay lipservice to what they think is right and wrong, and get bored to tears along the way. I wanted to maim myself after a couple of hours of this. He also assigned us a few papers and a group proj already, which, strangely enough was the one thing he DIDN'T go thoroughly through on his frolick through the sylabus.

Speaking of which: group projects, grrr. My group seems like a nice sort. They seemed to agree with me that "Group I is I-tastic!" and that "summer school is scary!" but I still don't like group projects.

Oh, and he asked us to put our hero's name on the paper with our phone numbers and stuff. I don't think I have any real heros.... I have people I'd like to hang out with, but no one that I'm like, "I want to be like them." So in a moment of flippantness, I put Wolverine down. I bet he's labeled me as a wisacre already.

I guess that's it.

No comments: