Thursday, May 15, 2003

Ugh. FTA still hasn't called me back or anything, leading me to think (and dread) that I'm going to have to call him again. I really really wish I'd known about Cinema studies long enough ago that I wouldn't have to deal with advisors. Because advisors SUCK. Maybe there's one or two good, but all around they SUCK.

I mean, the advisor for my old minor didn't even really have to do anything for me this semester except allow me into classes I need, and he couldn't even get that right. If I can't get the new minor off the ground, I'm going to have NO minor classes next semester.

But FTA, the one I'm hoping will come through for me, I doubt will come through for me. He keeps saying that we have to get the prof's permission when he doesn't even know who it is. He doesn't want to go ahead and put me in and get the prof mad. What I want to do is be like, "Hey, just put me in the class and if the prof gets mad take me back out and be like, 'hey, it's not like we could get ahold of you and consult you. My bad.' And if the prof finally shows up and doesn't get mad, I'm spared all this worry that you won't get me in." What also kills me about FTA is how badly he wants to cover his own ass when he doesn't even know who he's afraid of. The job of an advisor is to HELP people like me, not screw us over. But FTA and CAA (crappy ACS advisor), show a heroic unwillingness to help me out. I can see them not sticking their necks out for a freshmen, because you have 4 years to get the classes you need in then. But when I'm going to be a senior, and every time they screw me over means another semester of school? GRRR. I'd expect more help from some bystander on the street than these clowns.

So.... that's my long, nonsensical rant about how much college advisors suck.

No comments: