Sunday, March 10, 2002

I stayed up till four in the morning last night.

That's what I get for reading a book with a serial killer in it the night before. How stupid am I? I KNOW that kind of crap freaks me out. I was just hoping they'd find the missing kids, I guess. Very disturbing book, Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card--if you ever plan to read the book, skip this post, because I'm giving away the ending.

This book gives me reason to be glad I don't want kids. Not only does the family's oldest kid get killed by a serial killer at the end, they've been living in this location for less than a year and: their little girl almost got molested, the kid that DID get killed was (psychologically) tortured for almost a whole school year by the psychotic second grade teacher, a crazy guy started hanging out naked outside of their house and got enough time alone with their second kid to have done something to him, their youngest is born with nervous defects that they don't even have any idea what they are, someone sends them a threatening letter, this crazy woman at the church starts having visions about the family and accosts one of the kids.....

I have enough troubles making sure no psycho does something to me, I' mvery glad I'll never have a little helpless person I'll have to keep safe, because it's impossible. Especially when they get big, and don't want your help. I guess that's kinda why my mom smothers me.... but I didn't get killed by a serial killer yet, so maybe she's done a good job.

Oh, and the MOST disturbing part of the book: none of the obviously crazy people (naked psycho, religious lady, child molester--also especially creepy because he never got caught, and is wandering around offering to babysit for people, psycho teacher--though I think it's sad no one discovered she was psycho for so long) was the one that killed him. It was this harmless old guy, and no one could tell...

And then, they decided to stay there. If they were real kids, I would feel sorry for their remaining ones....

No comments: