Tuesday, May 14, 2002

My wedding toast


One of the dearest friends I have in the world is getting married tomorrow. My wishes for you are that the love in his eyes is as strong forty years from now as it was the day he got off of that train. I hope that though your love is soft and tender, that is as tough as nails through the good times and the bad. I definitely wish for you infinitely more of the former than the latter. I wish for you a happy house full of the sounds of friends and the laughter of children, where the biggest difficulty is a scraped knee that you kiss and make better. I hope there’s lots of grandchildren as well in the golden years, but no regrets.

I’m closing with the most romantic song I know:

The Luckiest
By Ben Folds (you knew it had to be ;)

i don’t get many things right the first time
in fact, i am told that a lot
now i know all the wrong turns,
the stumbles and falls brought me here
and where was i before the day
that i first saw your lovely face
now i see it everyday
and i know
that i am, i am
i am the luckiest
what if i’d been born
fifty years before you
in a house
on the street where you live
maybe i’d be outside
as you passed on your bike
would i know?
in a wide sea of eyes
see one pair that i recognize
and i know
that i am, i am
i am the luckiest
love you more than i have
ever found a way to say to you
next door
there’s an old man
who lived into his nineties
and one day passed away in his sleep
and his wife, she stayed
for a couple of days and passed away
i’m sorry i know that’s a
strange way to tell you that i know
we belong
that i know
that i am, i am
i am the luckiest.

No comments: