Wednesday, December 29, 2004

I spose I'll do the obligitory post on the loot I got on Christmas. That's all it's really about anymore at our house. We don't have a dinner or anything, my mom got deli fixin's and we made sandwiches. Which... wouldn't be that weird (I mean, it is a huge production to do the turkey dinner, especially when there aren't that many of us) except my mom KNOWS I HATE deli food. But I'd made myself a quesodilla at around 10 when I got up, so I wasn't that hungry anyway by lunch.

Yeah, I'm the only one on earth that sleeps late on christmas morning. My poor sister used to get up at 6 and beg and beg the parents to wake me up, but they'd let me sleep until at least 8. Then she'd have to wait while I ate breakfast, because the rule was we had to eat before opening presents. Because obviously, once you have them open you're going to want to play, not eat.

So I got:

A buttload of CD's: American Idiot (Greenday), There's Nothing Wrong with Love (Built to Spill), Deja Entendu (Brand New), Ups and Downs (Saves the Day), Saturate (Breaking Benjamin), Awake: The Best of Live, Level IV (Future Leaders of the World), Ben Folds Live, and Tell All Your Friends (Taking Back Sunday).

A buttload of Burt's Bees lip balm. Honestly, Burt must've made a whole lot of money off my family this year, because I wasn't the only one who recieved this stuff. And really, maybe the other products in the line are better, but I don't see the hype, lip balm-wise. It's really thin and petroleum-y feeling and wears off right away, not at all like the thick genuine beeswax staypower I was expecting. Honestly, I've bought lots of cheap-ass generic brands that felt more like beeswax and stayed on longer.

a DVD: Wonderboys. Pretty good dark comedy. I've been meaning to pick it up for awhile. I especially have this thing for finding cheap DVD's in bargain bins, and it seems like the type of movie that would end up there (I'm not saying it's a bad movie, but I don't think most people are just dying to have it on DVD). But I never see it, so I finally broke down and asked for it this year. I'm also probably going to buy Garden State and Napoleon Dynamite sometime with the gift cards I've recieved. ND was released just before christmas, and my mom didn't think it'd ship in time so didn't get it, and some brain whiz decided to release GD right after Christmas, which seems like bad marketing to me. Unless they are counting on people like me with giftcards, which maybe they could be.

gloves: fingerless with a flip top mitten, for doing camera stuff in the cold. I feel very touched by these, because the catalogue I wanted them from didn't sell them anymore, so my mom had to go all over looking for another brand. I love them. I freaked my sister out, I like to wear them around inside the house now. Because I have cold hands, and why not?

FM transmitter: you hook this to a walkman, and then tune to a certain frequency on your radio, and you can hear it on your radio. I like it, it's way cooler than the other adapter-type thing I originally asked for for my car. The only thing: it doesn't work. Oh, it works fine in the house, but for some reason my car radio (which is what I want it for) doesn't like it, and it comes in so staticy that it's really not worth it.

One Book: Songbook by Nick Hornby. I like several authors (including him) that for some reason only come out with the big expensive paperbacks instead of the cheap little ones. So I never want to buy their stuff with my own money. And I really felt like Songbook, though it's not a novel, it's only his opinions on music. But he has interesting views, you'd get that even if you read a couple of his novels. Most of the songs I've never heard of. But I read a couple of the essays so far, and I like them, so it's pretty enjoyable for me.

One Computer Game: Quest for Glory V. It is impossible to get a computer game new in a store or an online store after it's a year or two old. This makes me sad, because all of my favorite computer games are crazy old. Anyway, this one isn't as old as most of them, but it is somewhat older. I actually lost my original copy, so I've been begging my parents for years now to comb through used computer game stores (my mom will not buy anything from Ebay, she distrusts the paying method) to find me a copy. Actually, my mom was quite happy to find a used copy on amazon, and that's how I got it. I love it, have been playing it day and night.

Lots of candy.

The day after Christmas was fun, we went to my sister's house and played Scene it! (the movie trivia game), which she'd gotten from someone or other. I have to say, I am disturbingly great at this game. I won one game, and probably would've won the other if I hadn't missed two turns because people used these cards on me that do that. I'm not so good on character names or the high school photos of celebrities, but I totally clean up on directors, I'm the only one in my family who knows who directed what, mainly from being a cinema studies minor. Which helps me with hella old movies too. Only except for Hitchcock films, there weren't that many old ones. I don't think the game will be fun to play forever, though. The DVD questions seem to repeat somewhat frequently. My sister and her husband had only played it a couple times before, but they saw at least three repeat questions that they knew the answer to, just because they'd seen the question the day before.

No comments: