Friday, December 10, 2004

So today was my last day, except for Wednesday next week when I have my one final. Last day of school, last day of TV-10. Ever.

I did get a fairly happy story today, which was nice considering last night. My reporter and I went to the mall and got a holiday shopping story, and the kiosk people were very nice to her and I (especially since she works with them). Old Navy yelled at me for photographing them, though. It was more funny than annoying. Apparently you can't photograph an Old Navy without corporate permission. I guess they're afraid I'm doing an exposé on all their sweatshops or something. But by the time they'd yelled at me, I'd shot all the video I needed by then anyway. Then later, I was shooting something else, and I swear, an Old Navy employee walked by and heckled me. The original employee, who had just been doing her job, poked the heckler, and was like, "don't heckle her!" Good times. THEN, as we were walking out of the store, some old guy was all, "I saw you outside of Old Navy. I was going to help you out tell them you were getting a picture of me instead." It's like I was the Old Navy martyr. Everyone was banding to my cause.

Being part of the media is something I find very polarizing. Everyone really loves you or really hates you.

I'm going to a party later tonight. Usually the news director has a party at the end of the semester, but since she went on vacation at the last minute, one of the students is having it, so it's going to be a "real" party, I suspect. Which, is not really my scene, so I don't know if I'm going to do much more than put in a brief appearance. Real parties are generally a drag if you're sober, which I plan to be since I have to drive myself back. Plus, I've no real idea how to handle myself at them.

The last day was a little depressing, I didn't have much to do at the actual newscast. And more and more I get the impression that my production director disapproves of me somehow. And more and more he irritates me because I know he hasn't taught us as much as he could to prepare us for the real world. And on top of that, I still haven't learned the Avid, which I have to know for my internship. And the incredibly frustrating thing is this: I have plenty of time, oodles of time, in fact, in which to learn this. My halfhearted attempts at partime jobs have yielded no fruit, so I have all the time in the world. But 263 students still have projects they have to get finished on the Avid. And during break, the room it's in is going to be locked. I have no idea how the hell I'm going to learn. And I mean, at least I wasn't so stupid to lie, and tell Week that I knew how. But I said I'd try my best to learn in between then and now. But by then it was so far into the semester that people already had projects... Bleh. Why couldn't he have actually taught us the Avid when he was supposed to? Or at least made it clear that we were supposed to learn it on our own? So that when I did have my photo essay back then, I didn't wait until it was busted and then never learn......

No comments: