Friday, December 24, 2004

Man. You have to love an apology that starts with "Whatever." and ends with "Later."

So goes the e-mail my sister sent me today. Obviously, she's trying even less than I did. She managed to stick a couple more bitter recriminations between those bookends, but there was a "sorry" in there somewhere, albeit a rather snotty one, so I think she's finally willing to let it go too.

Today I got together with 3 of my friends from high school. Very depressing. I'm only a semester behind, but all of them have these... real lives. I'm like, "Yep. Living with the parents. Doing nothing." And I feel so immature. Everything I say... just gets this patronizing, "Oh, Phoemeister's so delightfully random. She hasn't changed a bit since high school!" laugh and eye roll. And I basically got told I picked the wrong career when I mentioned that in class they tell all mass com majors over and over how they're never going to get a job, when I was trying to sympathize with an anecdote someone else had told. "Why didn't you just switch majors?" I get asked, in this tone of voice that's like, "Quit whining. It's your own damn fault you never switched your crappy major!" "Well, besides the fact that I just wanted to graduate already by then, I actually kind of like this career and am willing to fight for it, dumbass!" is what I wanted to say.

Not that I got many words in. It seemed like I and the friend who has been living around here for awhile now that I mention on here from time to time both got shut out of the conversation, because the other two teach, and they all wanted to compare notes on teaching. And notes on living anywhere but here. My town is actually not a horrible town, but everyone I know (under a certain age) wants to get out as fast as they can. And when they do get out, they don't want to hear about it from people who stayed. It's like they think just listening to it will drag them back.

I'll take my spoons
dig out your blue eyes
swallow them down to my colon
they're gonna burn like hell tonight
cause you're beautiful
just not on the inside


--"Rocks Tonic Juice Magic," Saves the Day

No comments: