Friday, December 31, 2004

So I've been listening to all that music I got for Christmas. It's kind of hard... I can only get into a song if I've listened to it a few times, and 12X that for an album, and then having so many new ones, makes it difficult to know where to start.

Anyway, the Breaking Benjamin album is proving quite catchy, so so far it's the one with the most tracks I can recognize and enjoy. Which worries me a little, because if I like an album immediately, usually it means I get tired of it pretty fast. Which... yeah, I'm a weirdo.

Anyway, the best song (so far, my favorites also tend to change rapidly when I get a new album) on it is "Home." It's good in general, but what makes it AWESOME is it's about the Wizard of Oz! And it's really weird. Because the band is about as hard as anything I listen to (heavy guitar, mild screaming) and they have a song about what is essentially a kid's movie nowadays! So it's kind of amusing.

Anyway (ugh, this is the third time I've used anyway), what makes it doubly great, is I like to imagine what a music video for this song would be in my head. I like to think it would be performance-based (i.e. just showing the band playing, instead of cutting back and forth to a "story"). And maybe there'd be a greenscreen behind them, so the background would be bits of stuff from the movie, like the farm in kansas, the field of poppies, emerald city, etc. But the part that would make the video awesome is, I'd have the band members dress up as people from the Wizard of Oz. And then, I'd make them really ROCK out. As intense as possible. And it would be really funny, to see the lead singer guy (as Dorothy, of course) really rocking the braids and gingham. And the bassist would HAVE to be a flying monkey, and the lead guitarist could be a munchkin, with a miniature guitar. Then the drummer could could be the wicked witch. Or the good witch. Or whatever he felt like, really. There's no going wrong as long as Dorothy, the Flying Monkeys, and the Munchkins are already represented. The point is, I see this in my head everytime I listen to it, which makes me want to listen to it even more.

Addendum: after I made this post, I had a conver about it:

Sui: haha yeah I'm trying to picture it in my mind
Phoemeister: you need the song
Phoemeister: though I suppose you could picture it with any rock song
Sui: haha
Sui: yeah
Phoemeister: picture it to "Chop Suey"
Sui: haha that's good
Phoemeister: The guy with the braided beard would look awesome dressed up as dorothy
Sui: but the guy would actually have to be a midget
Phoemeister: He could just kneel or something
Phoemeister: or "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

Man, this is more fun than picturing it with the actual song
Sui: haha
Sui: that would be awesome
Phoemeister: or "Bohemian Rhapsody"
Sui: haha
Sui: especially the rocking out part
Phoemeister: Yeah!
Phoemeister: beezelbub has a demon set aside for me! for me! *then rocking out part* Kickass.
Phoemeister: That reminds me, whenever someone doesn't like a certain food, I say "More for me." Only instead of saying it normal, I sing the "for me!" like in Bohemian Rhapsody.
Phoemeister: I just thought you'd find that amusing.
Sui: haha that's pretty funny
Sui: like at thanksgiving? : )
Phoemeister: yeah
Phoemeister: I'm like, "More mashed potatos for me! for me!"
Sui: haha
Suibrom: I'd like to see that
Phoemeister: it IS pretty awesome
Phoemeister: I'm hoping to make it catch on

there's a man made of tin
with an oil can grin
and I'm gonna get you
and your little dog too
there's a yellow brick road
that we follow back home


--"Home," Breaking Benjamin

No comments: