Sunday, December 05, 2004

I'm 1 page away from the end of my paper, so I felt like a break. Man, film theorists are the sickest. This is the second paper that I've written in two days that I have to be like, "These guys are afraid of losing their penises!"

Okay, one of them was on Fight Club, which you are sort of justifed in saying that. At least if you go with testicles. It does sort of start in a testicular cancer support group. And it is about men who like to beat each other up and cry afterwards. Just sayin'

But no one in the two movies I'm analyzing in this paper right now really is afraid of losing their penis. But all the theorists are Freudians, and I have to use them in the paper. It is Hitchcock, so you can easily find all sorts of other sick things like incest, but no, you gots to make up crap about penises.

Actually, most directors are pretty messed up if you look at enough of their movies. Like I was watching Meet John Doe the other day, a Frank Capra movie. Most people only know It's a Wonderful life, but I've seen about a bazillion Frank Capra movies by now in my college career. Frankie C doesn't have any weird sex stuff that I'm aware of, but boy, he is not as happy go lucky as It's a Wonderful Life would have you think (It's a Wonderful Life isn't even as happy go lucky as It's a Wonderful Life would have you think if you think about it). If McCarthy didn't have the man in chains, he should've. The guy's a raging communist, and critical of the government. Not that I find anything especially bad about being communist, especially the "love thy neighbor" kind it seems that Capra is. Anyway, I'm not quite sure if Capra is really, really, idealistic and sincere or is really, really sarcastic. It's hard to believe someone could be that idealistic and sincere about it. So sincere it hurts. And really mean it. But I kind of want to believe that he is. I could probably just read up on him and find out, but I prefer to let it remain a mystery.

No comments: