Wednesday, January 26, 2005

So today I did nothing. The kind of less painful nothing of doing nothing at home than doing nothing at work.

My dad and I rented a couple movies, Friday Night Lights and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Friday Night Lights is pretty much a typical sports movie, I have to say I like sports movies way better than actual sports. And Eternal Sunshine was way good. I was actually surprised, because I've not been impressed by Charlie Kaufman in the past. In my opinion, Being John Malkovich was kind of mediocre and I actively hated Adaptation. But I'd heard so much good stuff about this one, I couldn't resist.

It's kind of funny, my Dad and I used to like all the same movies, and maybe this is because I'm a girl, and maybe this is because I was a cinema studies minor, but our tastes have totally diverged. Well... not totally. I still like most of the movies he likes (action blockbusters) but I like a wider variety. I like comedy (which he hardly likes any), I like drama (ditto), and though I don't like a lot of arty films (I've told you my opinion on the 2 prior Charlie Kaufman flicks, which most fans of arty just LOVE) I do like a certain percentage of arty films that aren't totally inaccessable. Also, he doesn't like all action movies, I have to really work to get him to go to any superhero movies. We both hate Vin Diesel movies. So that narrows it a bit more, even. And I rarely see a movie with anyone else. So I found Eternal Sunshine quite refreshing.

One movie I want to watch sometime without him is Anchorman. I mentioned it to dad, and he said something like, "Will Ferrell is not my cup of tea." Which he says about Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler and Jack Black and everyone else who makes comedies, which is why I don't think he likes very many comedies. Anyway, I don't find Will Ferrell to be the holy grail of funny like some people, but I really think I'd get a kick out of the concept. I'm not particularly interested in the 70's, but otherwise it's pretty much in my milieu, TV news. Yes, I successfully slipped milieu into this post! Go me. And on that note....... I'm done.

No comments: