Friday, January 28, 2005

Well, the internship was AWESOME today. Or... at least less crappy.

And less crappy is about all it needs for me to call it awesome, after the last two days I had.

Actually, the first half really was awesome. I went out all by myself! In a big-ass news van! And I found the place without getting lost! It was the retirement party for this guy who's been a chef at this hospital's cafeteria for 48 years. He's made over 100 thousand pounds of macaroni over the years, according to my VO. And you know TV wouldn't steer you wrong.

The second half: less so. I went out to cover some basketball with another photog (I'd done this same thing with another guy last friday, I shoot but my footage isn't used). But instead of going in the same van like sensible people, like the guy last time, he all thought I should take a separate news van. And that instead of giving me directions, I should just follow him.

On top of that: some other guy took HIS van to do something, and it had some of his gear in it, so we had to wait for the other guy to come back, so we were late. So when I was following him around, I don't know if he's naturally like this, or if it was because we were late, but it was like trying to follow a coked up weasel driving a news van. I had a death grip on the steering wheel the whole time, I was seriously afraid. I never drive at those speeds, and it was my second time driving a van at all, and only about my 10th solo interstate drive (though of course there were plenty non-interstate roads, we went all over). And, since he was seriously pissed at the guy who took his van, I really didn't want to irritate him further by driving too slow or losing him.And the place we went to was like a half hour away, at least. So after an hour of grand theft auto-style driving my nerves were shot. AND, since he was seriously pissed at the guy who took his van, I really didn't want to irritate him further by driving too slow or losing him.

But, the upside was that at one of the schools, they were doing this arm band sales drive to raise money for injured marines, and they wanted some footage of it, and I got to shoot it all by myself while the other guy did the basketball game. So I had TWO VO's today. On NETWORK TV!

Except I'm going to be sore as hell tomorrow, I carried way more around than I did last friday when I was complaining about being sore the next day. So I knows it's not going to be pretty.

I don't care what they say about us anyway
I don't care 'bout that


--"Buddy Holly," Weezer

No comments: