Monday, November 25, 2002

I still can't stop thinking of Star Trek: Nemesis. It damn well better be good, or else I will be psychologically crippled for the rest of my days.

I've decided the reason I'm so excited is that Star Trek is not just a show for me, it is ingrained into the fabric of my life. Wait....that sounds like a cotton commercial. Anyway, not only do I get the surface enjoyment of the Trek, but I get the warm fuzzy feeling I get from back when I was little, and my Dad and I watched Next Generation together. Or later, when my parents let me stay up late one day a week so that I could see Voyager.

Star Trek was a part of our family. Does anyone (I know I'm an incredible dork) remember the episode where everyone's tired, but they don't know why? And then they find out these aliens from another dimension were abducting them in their sleep the whole time, and performing experiments on them. Like, they broke Worf's arm, and then put it back together, but it was off by .3 microns! Anyway, after that, whenever anyone in the family had an unexplainable bruise (quite a lot, actually) we'd claim that "the click-click aliens abuducted us in our sleep!" (The aliens made clicking noises) We still do that from time to time.

My sister used to cover her ears in dark hallways for years when she was little, because she thought Khan's earwigs would get her. I was creeped out by the earwigs as well. But we all loved the fourth movie, with the whales, and Spock wearing that ridiculous headband to hide the pointy ears.

To annoy us, my dad would call me and my sister by titles given to aliens in Star Trek. Daimon (Ferengi), Gul (Cardassian). Then we'd be like, "No! You're Daimon Daddy! or "No, it is YOU who is Gul Dad!" And he'd throw crabapples at us. Red were phasers, green were photon torpedos, because that's the actual colors of phasers and photon torpedos, and the green ones were bigger, just like photon torpedos were better weapons. There was logic.

So...uh....that's why I can't wait to see Nemesis

No comments: