Sunday, November 17, 2002

Okay, here's an idle query: when did my family get to be hair nazis?

Well, my dad still isn't a hair nazi. But I'm beginning to wonder what's wrong with my mom and sister.

Situation: about a year ago, during the month o' ostracism I stopped getting my hair cut. This was basically to avoid my mom, who I would've had to see in order to get the ride to the hair place. And I like avoiding my hair stylist too. She always acts like I have this unibrow, which frankly I know my eyebrows can get a bit Oscar the Grouchesque, but does she have to hassle me about it every time I get my damn hair cut? I mean, she waxed it for free, once. That's how concerned about my eyebrows she is. She'll wax them for free. So after the free waxing I didn't want to see her that badly either.

Even after the month, I kept growing my hair out because I wanted to be able to do something fancy with it at my sister's wedding. I planned to cut it again shortly after. I have especially been thinking about it lately, because it's hard to brush all that tangly hair after I get out of a shower.

Anyway: I just haven't gotten around to cutting it yet. Basically because 1) I really have grown a dislike towards the eyebrow woman 2) Everyone who did my hair up to the eyebrow woman did a crappy job. I just can't find anyone who knows what they are doing, with respect to hair.

So how did my family get to be hair Nazis?

Mom: When are you going to get your hair cut? When are you going to get your hair cut? When are you going to get your hair cut? Every other time I see her. This actually doesn't surprise me so much, she's got this twisted psychological connection to my hair. When I was little I had long hair, but then mom's hair was short, and my sister's hair was short, and I was all like "I want to be just like my mommy and sister!" and submitted myself to the same awful shag with sideburns that they sported. Despite a lot of ridicule, I stuck to this hairstyle throughout gradeschool. I think my sister grew her hair out at one point, which gave me the courage to grow mine out. EVER SINCE THEN my mom has tried to get me to go back to her shag/sideburn coif that she still wears with pride. And if she can't get me to get the shag, she at least attempts to keep my hair somewhat short. I don't know why she gives a damn. Would having that same awful haircut as her mend the horrible rift we have between us? I certainly doubt it. Anyway, I wish the nagging would stop.

Sister: She's who kind of surprises me. Like, why would she care what length my hair is? But she harps on it more, if possible, than my mom. "Wow, your hair's getting really long!" she says. Innocuous in text, but believe me, she makes, "Wow, your hair's getting really long!" sound like, "Wow, you're getting really ugly!" She just says it this..... way..... that drives me bonkers. And she'll follow it up with "When are you going to get your hair cut?"

I don't know why this all bugs me, but it does. I bet I would've given in and gone to eyebrow lady a long time ago if they hadn't been hounding me, but I get a perverse pleasure in thwarting this strange obsession with my hair being shorter.

No comments: