Saturday, February 12, 2005

So I shot hockey today.

Yes, HOCKEY. And if you don't know why I'm putting this in caps, it's because if you think about it, hockey is about the hardest thing ever to follow through a viewfinder. So it's the hardest sport. When I'm not even very good at the easy sports.

This is because there's another hockey game on Sunday and I'll be the only one available for it, apparently. So they had me shoot this one, while someone else came along to get some stuff, so they didn't have to depend soley on my skillz. (which is good.... I gots poor hockey shooting skillz)

Pros and Cons of the experience:

Cons:
1) The guy who took like, 45 minutes this afternoon to skool me on hockey is TOTALLY the guy who's hair I modeled my anchorman comics on. Seriously... I think it's made of plastic or something. You could pop it off his head like a Mr. Potato Head attachement. So anyway, I kept staring at his hair and cracking up and trying not to show it, because bits from my comics like, "scientists have found that the area beneath the anchor desk is a pants-free zone!" kept running through my head.
2) plastic hair is MEAN. After I came back, as well as constructive criticism (which I didn't mind), he also had this to offer, "it's like you're deliberately trying to make it bad!" (which I did mind)
3) if that wasn't enough proof of plastic hair's meanness, maybe this little narrative will sway you to my side: I needed a cutaway, which is basically shooting something happening at the game other than the game, like rowdy fans or some display they have in between periods. So I got these couples who actually got married on the ice in between periods. And one of the women was fat. Oh.... I can't even tell you how many fat jokes plastic hair and other guy made about that poor woman. And they seemed to think all of them were fucking hilarious, though they were pretty standard unimaginative fat jokes. And the other guy is pretty fat himself! Where does he get off?
4) You know how I whine about how I'm sore after basketball? That's like half an hour (if that) of having the camera on my shoulder. Having the camera on my shoulder for a whole hockey game.....? Yeah.

Pros:
1) Media get like 8 bucks worth of free food at the concession stands!
2) I did get a highlight on tv tonight. Other guy says that's phenominal for my first time shooting hockey. Which.... I admit, it was kind of luck. But I'm still proud.
3) Other guy also said that my basketball is WAY better than it used to be, and if I improve on my hockey by that much, I'll be sensational!
4) I want to start calling Hockey "Honkey" and then tell people I'm going out to shoot some Honkey.

No comments: