Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Hardware and Software Concepts: Not cool.

First of all, the professor started with this long, long spiel on "what are you doing here?" And to the answers to that he asks, "Why do you need a degree? How much money would you like to earn after college? What do you do once you have money? Really, the reason you're here is to find yourself, blah blah blah touchy feely crap."

Screw that! I'm here so I can graduate and get out of this hell-hole! The only real goal I have money-wise is that I make enough so that I don't have to live with my parents after I graduate and get out of this hell-hole. I know who I am. Leave me alone, and teach me the stupid computer crap I don't want to learn anyway and is totally useless ("We're going to teach you how to convert things into binary without a calculator! And assembly language where all you can do is tell the computer to add things.") so I can get out of here.

He also knew that most of us are also enrolled in 169 (el clase diablo) and was like, "I won't ease up on you guys just because of that." Well if you aren't, don't even bring it up.

Anyway, he spent the rest of the time encouraging discussion about new technological developments. It's kind of interesting, but after awhile, I get so bored. Because half of it is crap that is never going to be big anyway. Remember when zip disks were going to be the next big thing? And they aren't. I don't know anyone who uses one. A lot of this crap is the next zip disk, or even dumber ("We'll store information on crystals!"). And it is hilarious how stereotypically "computer-nerd" these guys are. Actual conversation:

Guy 1: I hear they're coming out with a new Windows. Windows Phoenix I think it is.
Guy 2: No! It's Windows Longhorn you dumbass!
3: Oh! I heard of that! It's SO sweet!
4: I KNOW! It's AWESOME!
5: I can't WAIT until it comes out
3: I hear it NEVER crashes
6: Dude, we're talking about a microsoft product here.

*intense computer nerd laughter by everyone, including me, about how crappy microsoft products are*

No comments: