Monday, January 13, 2003

My First Day Back At School

or

"Why I Need to Go Out and Buy Some Razor Blades"


First Class: ACS 169. Most Likely To Become A Pain In My Ass. Teacher: "You will spend 10 hours a week outside of class on this class. If you find yourself spending more than 15, you should probably drop it." Oh, but ten isn't excessive? I hate you. Not to mention that this class is a continuation of 168, which was extremely difficult and time-consuming. And is apparently way easier than 169. The devil course. Also, the woman must've denuded a small forest in order to have found the supplies of paper she forced on us, including two assignments due on Wednesday already, and a major programming project, on the massive (to me) scale that Battleship was, due next friday. I hate you. And I hate every other course in which they act like your one and only dream is to be in this course, and you have no other courses or needs for free time, and are like, "Well, if you don't like it, you can drop it," which they full well knowyou can't, because you'll be fucked if you do because its a prereq for another class you need to graduate, which is probably in turn another prereq. And what they don't know is I'm already here an extra semester, I really don't need any more of this. You're such bastards.

Next Class: Radio Production: Lecture. Fairly decent class, only I have to buy all this other crap, for the lab portion. A drawstring bag, blank CDs, headphones, and razor blades. I'm pretty sure if I try to get my parents to pay for the expensive, 70 dollar headphones they want me to use in this class, my mom would fly into a psychotic rage, and I wouldn't blame her. In the last month, she has already bought me two pairs of regular headphones. (various reasons) And I really don't want to shell out that much money for headphones I wouldn't really use outside of this one class, seeing as how I have two brand new pairs of headphones anyway. I definately plan on getting the razor blades, though, in case I need a way to end my pain in mid-semester, as I suspect I will.

Lastly: Media Writing. Something tells me I'm going to be writing a screenplay. That something is my textbook, "How to Write a Screenplay." I hope it turns out better than the novel. The real problem with Media Writing? The professor wants to drive me insane! I mean, I swear this is under "goals" in my syllabus: "the student will be faced with seemingly incessant and fast-approaching deadlines." That's college-talk for, "I'm a sadistic bastard who intentionally arranges to pile an especial lot of work on my students near the end of the semester when they're going to be stressed out anyway." AND the grading scale's not standard, he made it harder. That pisses me off. All classes should have the same standards. I mean, if I get a 92% and it's still not an A, but if I had happened to have a different professor, I would've had an A, how is that fair? It should be the same in all classes. AND, it's not like the scale's not hard because he grades easy. He says he DOES grade hard. And all over the damn syllabus he has stuff that says he's "tough but fair." I hate it when people say that about themselves, because really they just mean "tough." I've had some people who have been "tough but fair," but they don't go around going "I really AM fair, you just don't like it because I'm tough." They just go around being tough but fair without saying anything about it. The people who say they're tough but fair are tough AND unfair. I want to smack them. Grrrr. Also, it took all I had when he kept asking "did anyone do anything exciting over break?" not to say "ooh! ooh! I had a colonoscopy!"

So anyway, i'm really going to be needing those razor blades.


School improvement: there are paper towels in our bathrooms now! No more dripping hands. Yay.

No comments: