Tuesday, January 21, 2003

I'm a little depressed right now, so there will be a rant later. But first, I'd like to mention the AWESOME thing that has happened so far today.

We have to come up with fake public service announcements in my TV production class, and my group--we're doing Mullet Awareness, bay-bee!

It has to be really short, but here's the basic script:

Me and Guy1 are talking.
Me: Wow, that's a really nice haircut.
Guy1: Yeah...it iiis pretty sweet.
Guy2: *walks up, sporting a fiiiine mullet*

Guy1: Nice hair! Billy Ray Cyrus called! He wants his boyfriend back!
Me: Uh, yeah! The uh...crappy hair store called, and they want their...uh...crappy hair back!
Me & Guy1: *high five*
Guy2: *hangs head in shame*

cut to another screen with just guy2, sans mullet:
Guy2: Just because someone has a mullet, doesn't mean they aren't a person too. Don't mullet-hate.
And then we're going to work it so a mullet sort of appears on his head and he gives a cheesy grin and thumbs up.

I'd like to take partial credit for the idea to use mullets, too. Because they started talking about 80's psa's, and how corny they were (only YOU can prevent forest fires!). And then they just started talking about how corny everything about the 80's were. And then mullets were one thing mentioned. And I was like, "We should do an anti-mullet comercial!" but then we ended up going pro-mullet. Because who doesn't love a mullet?

What I'm depressed about is that after we came up with the script, and just started talking regularly, I felt like a real loser. They kept talking about drugs, movies I'd never seen, and bands I'd never heard of. I am SO tired of people talking about drugs and alcohol. I have no problems with people drinking or whatever, but I get tired of that being all they can talk about. It isolates me from every group of people I end up in. It makes it even harder than it is anyway to make friends. And I'm also tired of no one liking anything I do. Thanks to reading people's online journals, I know that there's a bazillion college students out there that like enough of the same things as me that I would really feel comfortable in a conversation with them. But irl, I only ever meet people who like getting wasted and watching movies with bathroom humor. I'm not one of those people who're like, "Eeeew. Bathroom humor! Gross!" but I really don't find it funny, either. ...so in sum, I hate feeling left out.

Also, another annoying thing: everyone seems to know what the hell they're doing (radio lab, acs lab, TV lab), but I've never had a single class before that actually teaches any of the stuff that other people seem to take knowing for granted. Why am I so far behind? And also: how come so many people have had jobs that are actually applicable to what they want to do later on, and I can't even fucking get a job at Wal-mart?

No comments: