Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Man, I'm a horrible aunt. The 'phew is sick, and my parents are taking care of him because the daycare's like, "we don't want him here, he'll get the other kids sick," though that policy obviously is not that helpful as he GOT this cold FROM daycare, and about a thousand others besides. Anyway, I was complaining to a friend a couple of the inconveniances of having him around, and the thought that I'm a horrible aunt couldn't help but rear it's ugly head.

And honestly, I must be a horrible aunt, because that's not the full extent of it. I just realized, I could really take or leave him at this point. I don't know why I can't get all enthusiastic about him the way my parents do. It's like... he's a baby. He doesn't even have a personality yet. I remember the first time he smiled at me, and my heart completely melted, I felt so much love for him... but I've never been able to re-create that feeling again. The closest time I've gotten are a couple times when he's done something that makes me laugh my head off, which I admit, is fun. So most of the time I think of him as something to entertain myself with at my sister's house when I'm bored to death about their crappy conversations about my sister's husband's stepdad's grandpa, or are they themselves trying to play with the baby.

Anyway, I'm hoping that my sis has another kid in a couple years. And then, 1) by then he'll be able to talk and stuff, so I'll like hanging out with him, and 2) I won't have to fight for his time with my parents and his million other doting relatives, because they'll stop paying attention to him for the new baby. And he'll doubly like me for paying attention to him instead of the baby. It's all win win.

No comments: