Wednesday, November 09, 2005

So good news first:

I bought ALL my christmas gifts today, it was the day our discount goes up to 40% off. If number of packages equals love: I love my nephew best, my parents tie for second, and my sister and brother in law tie for the next spot. If number of presents equals love, I love my dad first because he likes cheap things so I got him a lot of cheap things. If dollar amount equals love, I don't know. I can't do math.

Though actually, by all those standards, I love myself the most because I did buy a lot. But it was all the books I'm going to read for the next six months. AND they were books that I was going to end up getting anyway. So I got them today at a discount.

Still, I bought the most of everyone today.

Bad news:

Carmax got fired! I couldn't believe it. Apparently it happened a day or two ago. Mouse told me. And neither of us knew why, and it was killing us because we're like, "Well... what if we're doing whatever it is she did and we don't even know?" And of course, with it being so sudden and hush-hush, all you can really assume is that the person was stealing. But we were like, "Carmax wouldn't do that!"

Optpri came in at one point (to shop, she actually had the day off) and she wasn't supposed to tell us what happened, but she did anyway, because 1) Mouse and I were seriously dying over it and 2) Carmax specifically told her to tell everyone, because she didn't want us all to hate her and think she was a thief.

What happened was Carmax used her employee discount for her sister. Which, we're not supposed to share our discount with anyone but our spouses.

It sucks that she got fired over it. Because it was only one time, two weeks after she started working at the store, and she didn't even know she couldn't. And the sister didn't buy a ton of things, it was one book.

Apparently someone from the corporate office talked to her about it, and it sounded like she was going to get off with a warning. But, according to Carmax, boss-boss decided to fire her anyway. Which makes me believe what Carmax has always said about boss-boss not liking her. Which I think is stupid, Carmax is awesome, I can't believe anyone not liking her. She is one of my favorite people at the store, and I'm always happy when I know we're going to work the same day because I know it's going to be fun with her around. And she's a good worker. She's probably made less mistakes than I have! I mean, I lost a check the first week I was working there and didn't really get in trouble, and it was for a lot more than what Carmax's sister saved on the book.

It's also kind of hinky that it's after all this time, the discount thing happened a couple of months ago.

I also feel bad that I was the one who rang it up! I did know better, but I didn't want to be a jerk and all, "your sister can't use your discount!" So I just let her do it. And if I had said something, she'd still have a job now. I feel really bad.

Also, a little paranoid. Does it look like we were in on it together? We have to initial things, so they full well know I rang her up that day. But no one's even talked to me about it. So either they think I'm innocent or boss-boss really does have something against Carmax but not me..... it's weird.

So I called her up after work. Optpri had made sure we had Carmax's phone number (though I already had it) in case we wanted to call her up. I had wanted to call her, but not been sure if it would sound too much like morbid curiousity, but since she'd apparently given Optpri license to spread her number around, I figured she wanted to be called for moral support.

Well happily: I think we're still going to be friends and hang out even though we don't work together anymore. And she was happy to get my call, she said the worst part about the whole thing was she was afraid we'd all think she was a thief or something. And we talked for two hours. Literally, it was at least an hour and a half. I don't think I've talked on the phone that long to anyone since I was a teenager. Anyway, we're going to write a rock opera about the store and how they screwed her. It's going to be awesome. Some other topics we're including:

--Boss-boss being a jerk
--Boss-boss being obsessed about being pregnant
--TII saying "milady" all the time
--The pile of dead babies in Sui's basement
--TII being slightly gay
--Us loving TII despite being slightly gay and a geek and saying milady all the time
--this one customer in a permenant drug haze that comes around all the time
--this one customer always twigging out on meth all the time
--people who get mad at our coupons and say, "we're going to barnes and noble!"
--this old confused customer who makes us look up albums and then tell him every song on the album over the phone, and then we order the album and he cancels it, and then calls up later and is mad that we canceled it
--how I faked loving Terry Pratchett in my job interview

I think there were more, but I forgot.

No comments: