Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Having an imagination is good sometimes, but most of the time it's very, very bad.

Example: Last night I finished a murder mystery before I went to bed. It wasn't scary at all. But, they found out the victim had been killed because she was one of those creeps who kill all their own kids for no particular reason, and had been killed in revenge. Thinking about creepy freaks who kill their kids got me to thinking about creepy freaks who kill anyone. Thinking about serial killers at all gets me thinking about them, and all the horrible things they could do to me for hours. Am I easily frightened or what? I mean, hell, half the stuff I thought of was off this Jack the Ripper walk I took in England almost a year ago that I knew I shouldn't have gone to but went to anyway because people told me to.

Speaking of which--don't people who are really into serial killers freak you out? The guy who took us past the killing sites totally had a gazzillion Jack the Ripper books. Isn't it a little sick to be like flipping through one of those books going, "oooh! He ripped her ovaries out!"? I mean, I know it's supposedly the "mystery" that they never caught him that fascinates people, but still.... ewwww. And come on, the case has been examined by everyone and the trail's pretty cold. You're not going to be the one who solves the Jack the Ripper case, dude.

Same with slasher flicks. I just don't get it. Why do you want to see someone hacked up by a guy in a mask? I mean, usually, these sorts of movies aren't even scary for me while I'm watching them. It's afterwards, when I'm trying to go to bed. Or when I finally fall asleep and have a nightmare that scares the crap out of me. Who would want to be that scared? Why would you? I mean, obviously, people do. But I can't see why. I can sort of see the appeal with some psychological thrillers, but I still get freaked out. There've been some scary movies I've seen, and all of them except for The Sixth Sense (because it really wasn't about horror) and The Mummy (ditto), have traumatized me for life, they make me think of them whenever I'm doing something stupid like freaking out about serial killers and the like.

So in short: I wish I didn't imagine all that stuff. Long pointless rant. Yep.

No comments: