Wednesday, March 26, 2003

I'm not enjoying com week anymore.

Com week, which I explained at length in the post that got eaten the other day, is a whole lot of panels about jobs in the field of communications, culminating in a job fair at the end of the week. It's actually pretty decent of them to try and help us get jobs, it surprises me a little that ISU even gives a crap, they don't usually seem to care about the average student.

A lot of prof's of com classes give us extra credit or extra time in order for us to attend these panels. I don't get extra credit, but I get credit for being there for the 20 hours of TV experience I need for TV production class (which I want to finish up my hours because I'm really going to be busy up until finals). Plus a couple of them I'd like to be there anyway, because I would like to get a job when I graduate.

Unfortunately--they're USELESS. Like the one on internships wasn't how to get an internship. It was just like, "internships are good, internships are good." Like I didn't know that before. And all of the other panels are like, "You're going to have to work long hours, and really really suck up to people and meet as many people as you can and really come off good in interviews." Which I knew already.

And I hate about hearing about all the work I'm going to have to do a job. Because really, I don't want to bother. That's probably why they hire the people who bother to make all the extra effort, because they're obviously hard workers to do all this networking and crap. They probably don't want a slacker like me. But they're stupid. Just because I don't want to work at meeting people at stupid organizations doesn't mean I won't work really hard once I get a half decent job. That's just how I am.... if some work is stupid, I don't do it. But if it's good, I love doing it. It's like, not even work. In high school I got poor math grades because I would never do the homework, because I understood it all from lecture anyway and didn't need to do the damned boring homework. But for scholastic bowl, I would memorize author names for hours on end, and it was fun because I loved getting the answers right when I was actually in the game. And it's not like I only like the fun parts of a job.... I spent far more time memorizing than I actually did playing. If I can get a job I love, I would KICK ASS. But I hate interviewing. And networking. And going to stupid clubs and making friends with people I only want to use to further my career.

Also: since I've shifted my focus to TV... TV jobs suck. I went to a TV panel today where they're like, "We work our asses off [at stuff I personally am not interested in]
and are payed shite." I don't want to move around to every damn tv station in illinois trying to build my way up to Chicago. I hate local news. It's like, "there's a new traffic light on Veterans parkway." I couldn't care less. I don't want to do news at all. I want to go to a production company, however small and crappy, and do that. I want to make art and entertainment, not inform people of the trivialities of the community. But my school's video production is SO slanted towards news..... I really need to find a way to get the skills I need for that.

Okay, that was a lot more organized in my head.

No comments: