Thursday, August 12, 2004

I love having a blog. I was looking through some of my archives last night and was just like, "Whoa." Because even only three years ago, which is when I started this thing, I can definately see that I have changed. And it's interesting to go back and see what that person who was me thought about things.

I also think it helps me remember things better. I read bits, and am like, "Oh, I remember that!" but I think some of these incidents would be lost otherwise. Particularly my musings about things. Which is why it's so heartbreaking that I lost an entire year of archives (summer '03-summer '04) because I was too stupid to back them up. It's like losing part of myself.

Anyway, I find it laughable how often I'm like, "Dude, you were an ass!" when I read the poorer posts in my archives. Or how often I'm like, "Wow... that post was AWESOME. You were a genius!" when I read the good ones. Or even how often I forget that I was the one who wrote this stuff, and am like, "I totally agree with that post!" and then realize.... well, of course I agree with that post. It's my opinion, after all. But sometimes I disagree with my past self. Which is how I can tell I've changed. That, and most of my glaring grammatical errors have turned into different types of glaring grammatical errors.

Anyway, I leave you with an excerpt from November 7, 2001 that I was particularly impressed by, and is a strong example of the aforementioned "type of thing I would have forgotten if I hadn't written it down on the ol' blog." Enjoy.

Then, I know this was corny, but I looked up, and saw the birds flocking as they always do in the fall, on their way south. Black birds, as always, but they would've been black anyway, the dusk held just enough light to form elegant silhouettes of them against the pale blue sky. And I thought, "How beautiful." And I wondered how come there's so much beauty and so much horror both in the same world, as no doubt a million jillion bazillion people have thought before I ever came up with it, but I thought of it anyway. And then I thought of something my dad says, whenever he sees the countless numbers of birds wheeling randomly through the sky in the fall, "I wonder how they manage not to hit each other, even though there are so many of them and the flock is so chaotic." And I wished that humans could get along as well as those "lesser" creatures, up there in the sky.

And the flock thinned out, as some of them landed on the now leafless trees, also silhouetted against the sky, but some of them followed me all the way home.


I also remember that those particular birds hung around campus all winter and pooped all over everything.

No comments: