Sunday, August 29, 2004

Speaking of funnel cakes, I've noticed something strange about my neighborhood lately. I'm talking about this trailer in front of someone's house. It's not a regular trailer, it's one of those trailers they sell food out of at fairs and carnivals and such. Funnel cake, corn dogs, the whole 9 yards of fair food.

And it hit me: there are carnies living in my neighborhood. Carnies, for the love of all that is good and holy! I knew I lived in kind of a hick area, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be rubbing elbows with carnies! Am I going to turn into a carnie? Is it something you can catch?

And they're quite bold about it too. Unless there is a carnival that the carnies need to make it to, that trailer is always in their driveway. Not only is that bold, but inconvenient. They have to park their cars in the middle of their lawn, or on the side of the road or something. If I were a carnie (and we all know that's where I'm headed), I would totally hide my shame by putting my funnel cake mobile in a shed or something. Even if I became complacent about my carniness, I would still want to be able to get my car in the garage.

Incidently, I was telling this story to someone in class today, and one of my professors walked in right when I was describing the shed I would build for my carnie fair food trailer. Which just makes me sound crazy, like I plan to buy a funnel cake trailer and hide it in a shed, and sit there in the dark and eat funnel cake all day. He certainly gave me a look like that's exactly what he expected me to do. But hey, who is he to judge me and my carnie trailer shed? If I want to sit in a shed and eat funnel cake all day, that's what I'm going to do, dammit! This is a free country! This is what we fought the war for! Atticaaaaaaaaaaa!

Also, here's a (not very) carnie-related conver for your reading enjoyment.

Phoemeister: Sharks actually really freak me out, but I had to see Jaws for one of my other classes (one of the other semi-cool ones). And it was actually not so bad on account of how fakey the shark looked.
Phoemeister: A lot of things that I will never encounter ever in my life really freak me out, I've realized. Sharks, serial killers, killer bees...... and I don't even know why.
Kin: Heh. Well, they're just kind of freaky things.
Kin: I mean, who wants to get stung to death by a shit-load of bees? That would be the crappiest way to die ever.
Phoemeister: LOL..... yeah, that would be bad.
Phoemeister: They should make a horror movie about that.
Kin: I mean, getting stung once hurts enough to where it's not a pleasant experience at all. I can't imagine being stung enough times to die from it.
Phoemeister: Though actually I can see that more in a horror movie about something else, but the evil monster has the power to control bees or something. Like the scarab beetles in The Mummy.
Kin: It's been done. More than once, I think.
Kin: I don't remember what it's called, but there are a few horror movies about killer bees.
Phoemeister: Really? Well, yeah. I guess I never watch horror enough to know.
Phoemeister: I'm the hugest wuss. I don't really get scared in the theatre, but I always have nightmares after.
Phoemeister: I think there should be a horror movie about carnies.
Kin: Also been done.
Kin: ...A lot.
Kin: A lot, lot.
Phoemeister: Man. I'm horrible at this.
Phoemeister: I mean, I knew there were clown horror movies. But not carnie horror movies.
Kin: Pretty much everything you can think of has probably been done at some point.
Phoemeister: Probably.
Phoemeister: Mimes?
Kin: I'm sure. Haven't seen one, but I wouldn't doubt it.
Phoemeister: Is there a clown vs. carnies vs. mimes super-horror flick a la freddie vs Jason?
Kin: I dunno, but that would be kind cool.
Phoemeister: woo!
Phoemeister: Someday I'll write that screenplay.

No comments: