Sunday, August 22, 2004

So, I got an e-mail from ISU today about why my e-mail disappeared and then reappeared, apparently it's part of this thing they're doing to upgrade the servers.

I post this because it's such a typically ISU thing to do: do something that freaks people out, then warn them afterwards.

Now I'm bored, so I'm filling out this Allmusic survey:


First Record Bought:
Mmm... I can't remember any of my tapes. So my first CD is a tie between No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom and Alanis Morrisette's Jagged Little Pill, which I bought at the same time. Which is really bizarre, because out of the 100+ CD's I've bought since then, I've only bought 3 other albums with female vocalists. I still have Tragic Kingdom, but a roommate absconded with the Alanis album and I've never felt the need to replace it.

First Concert:
Some Christian rock thing. Newsboys, Sonic Flood, and the opener: a thrash metal band called Beanbag that was quite out of character with the other two bands. Their whole set seemed to be screaming "Jesus will never let you down! Jesus will never let you down!" as loud as their tortured vocal chords allowed.

Favourite Music Movie:
A Hard Day's Night. Is there really any other choice?

Favourite Music Book:
Mmm... if I've ever read any I don't remember them very well.

Favourite Songwriter:
Ben Folds

Favourite Producer:
I guess I don't pay any attention...

Favourite Record Label:
Ditto.

Favourite Magazine:
Rolling Stone. Which... I do get annoyed when they spend so much space on popular people I hate, but find it much better than Spin (the only other one I read), which is wall-to-wall obscure bands I've never heard of that you can't even get a feel for in their descriptions, because they use adjectives that describe nothing.

Favourite Bassist:
Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers

Favourite Album Cover:
The Madding Crowd by Nine Days

Favourite Teen Idol:
Eh...

Artist Who Broke Your Heart:
How? By sleeping with me and not calling the next day? Or do you mean by dropping a really crappy album? The latter happens all the time. The former: surprisingly rare.

Artist You Will Always Believe In:
I may be cynical, but I don't think I'll always believe in any band or singer.

Singer Who Makes Your Skin Crawl:
90% of rappers and a significant percentage of pop stars.

Singer Who Makes You Swoon:
I'm assuming this means "sexy voice." Jason Wade of Lifehouse, Anthony Kiedis of The Red Hot Chili Peppers...... I have a lot more probably, but those were off the top of my head.

Favourite Sound:
Cello. I get this weird high from songs with cello or other stringed instruments in. Though if all songs had cello, then I'd probably be all about something else.

Album You Will Always Defend:
I dunno. I've never had to defend any album I really like. Either the people I talk to like it, or have never heard of it, or don't really care to argue about it.

Album You Own That No One Else Does:
I have a lot of semi-obscure stuff but nothing truly unknown.

Classic Album You Own but Don't Like:
I don't think I have anything classic, classic. I have a couple of albums that were really hyped that I don't like, though. So I guess I'll go with: White Blood Cells by The White Stripes

Artist You're Supposed to Like but Don't:
Ryan Adams, The Ramones, Bob Dylan.... all good choices for me based on other things I like. But I just can't get into any of them.

Song You Can't Stand by an Artist You Like:
Here's to the Night by Eve 6 or In the Middle by Jimmy Eat World

Band That Should Break Up:
Limp Bizkit? I don't really hate them as much as I used to, but I can't think of any "bands" I hate right off the top of my head (though if it were individuals, I think Nelly is the anti-christ)

Band That Should Re-form:
Maybe the Gin Blossoms, Refreshments, or Semisonic. I can't really back that up with reasons, just that I kind of miss them all.

Guilty Pleasure:
Probably that Hey Ya song by Outkast.

Favourite Music DVD:
Umm... I have both the Weezer and Red Hot Chili Peppers video collections (both have some random other stuff on there) and both are pretty good. But their only competition is this collection I have of the Stone Temple Pilots, who have surprisingly crappy videos.

Concert You Wish You'd Seen:
I'm not really a concerty person, I've only ever went to two and didn't enjoy either particularly. I guess I'd kind of like to have seen Ben Folds at some point, because I want him to have my babies and I hear he's really awesome live.

Dream Collaboration:
Eh... can't say I have one. I WAS pretty stoked when I heard Ben Kweller and Ben Folds made up 2/3 of The Bens, but since their EP wasn't that great I've given up on supergroups both real and imaginary.

And...... done. I can't believe tommorrow's my first day of school. Again. Shouldn't I be done with this stuff by now?

Do it!
--Starsky & Hutch

No comments: